How to Make Your Own Decorative Glass Front Door

$300
Advanced

Instead of buying a new fiberglass door, we ordered a decorative glass window to transform it. I have to say, the thought of ordering a new door, knocking out the old frame and installing a new door and frame was more work than we wanted to do together. So that is another reason we decided to fix up the old door. Plus the cost of cutting out the door and adding decorative glass was a lot less.
how to make your own decorative glass front door, diy, doors, how to
I am happy with the result. My intention was to add more natural light to the area. Adding the decorative glass window and painting the door white tied the entry together nicely.
Here's a look at our plain 6-panel fiberglass door.
We picked out a Tuscan style decorative glass window that was a special order: Mastercraft 22" x 36" Decorative Glass for Exterior Door TU-106. Cost: $327.25 at Menards. They often have 11% discount days so our cost was $291.25. It is actually a replacement window for doors that already have a window. However, this glass window kit comes with all the directions and list of tools you need to install the window. Since we had never done this before I was a little nervous. If something went wrong, then what? Nevermind that, we hauled off and just did it.
Measured, marked and taped off the area to be cut. Before cutting the door we scribed a line for a nice clean cut. Fiberglass will splinter, so adding masking tape is a smart precautionary measure.
Next step we did was drilled holes in opposite corners to start the cut with a jigsaw. It's very important to use a dust mask when doing jobs like this, especially fiberglass.
Here is the door all cut and ready for a decorative glass window.
We recommend installing the door before inserting a glass window. It was at this point that we precisely followed the directions for installation of a window replacement that came with the special order decorative glass window.
It was actually easier to install than we thought.
Removed the door hardware and taped off the window area to paint the door white.
A nice close up of the Tuscan style decorative glass insert. It is hard to take a photo of the door and window because of all the light.
New door hardware dressed up our entrance beautifully and is a quick and easy home improvement to do yourself. There are so many choices for door hardware it is hard to decide. I second guessed myself and thought perhaps I should have picked the color black, but the silver color and style look elegant. I could not be happier.

Never in my dreams did I think the door would turn out as beautiful as it did. We love how easy it was to transform it into something brand new. It feels good to finish this project. If you liked this, see a few more photos on the blog at Housekaboodle link below. Thank you so much, Sue
Sue @ Housekaboodle

• Mrs14282620

no need to but almost wish I did. It is so beautifying. How do you keep from going in and out just to see it.

• Sian

That was my thought exactly when I saw the close-up picture of the glass/decoration & the pic below it with the hall transformed. Achingly beautiful, the Italianate styles are so gorgeous, and to know you did it all yourself too. Just a tidbit of information, British houses, both old & new are built with a space filled by glass above the door & sometimes a rectangular window at the side/s for this purpose (to let light in to very dark halls) otherwise people would have needed candles in daytime. Even modern ones are built this way, unless they are tiny cottage types (old) or a door with slot windows comes with a new (small starter home) house. I have the above-door pane but I'd love what you have in my front door, but in-between the slots of small panes runs a metal panel - it's a 5-lever PVC door. I just look on with envy instead, fantastic job!!

• Itsmemic

what a fantastic job you did !! Loos SO pro !! Maybe habitat for humanity has glass like that less expensive? But for real....door..a good one..is very expensive. And yours looks awesome !

• Linda Puryear

Why not paint the door while it is off the hinges and just touch up after installation of the glass? Or did I miss something?

• Sue @ Housekaboodle

We did not do it that way because our goal was to install the glass window into the newly cut door opening.