Work in progress

+4
Just thought I'd share my work in progress. My husband and I retired to West Virginia about 5 years ago and I've been s-l-o-w-l-y working on this garden. a...huh... "diamond" in the (very) rough :-)
SO... what do you all think. This is the garden I want to add some kind of water feature to, here in WV we have LOTS of slate/shale, I thought it would be nice to incorporate the slate/shale into the water "art"
work in progress, flowers, gardening, This is my garden before I started Had a few plants from prior owners of house Cute but needs lots of TLC
This is my garden before I started. Had a few plants from prior owners of house. Cute, but needs lots of TLC
work in progress, flowers, gardening, last winter poor pitiful garden the moss grows everywhere around here
last winter... poor pitiful garden... the moss grows everywhere around here
work in progress, flowers, gardening, few more item and flowers and it s actually resembling something those little red and white flowers and Candy Cane something or another
few more item and flowers and it's actually resembling... something... those little red and white flowers and 'Candy Cane' something or another?
work in progress, flowers, gardening, add some pretty orange Day Lilies
add some pretty orange Day Lilies
work in progress, flowers, gardening, Autumn Joy
Autumn Joy
work in progress, flowers, gardening, Does anyone know what these are I just thought they were so pretty so I bought them I think we use to call them Texas Roses
Does anyone know what these are... I just thought they were so pretty, so I bought them. I think we use to call them Texas Roses???
work in progress, flowers, gardening, Still needs lots of work but it s getting there A dear friend is sharing her plants with me so I am not having to spend load of which I don t have anyway So I want to THANK HER VERY MUCH
Still needs lots of work, but it's getting there. A dear friend is sharing her plants with me so I am not having to spend load of $$ (which I don't have anyway) So I want to THANK HER, VERY MUCH!!!
  • Marilyn Highley Marilyn Highley on Jul 01, 2013
    The little flowers are Portulaca, sometimes called Moss Roses or Rose Moss. They will often reseed themselves and don't mind being a little dry.

• Linda Stone Linda Stone on Jul 01, 2013
    You will get there. I see progress already. In my yard, I do not know where to start. It is a mess! Hope you are enjoying it.

• Douglas Hunt Douglas Hunt on Jul 02, 2013
    A garden built of shared plants is a wonderful thing.

• Darlene T Darlene T on Jul 02, 2013
    Thanks everyone for your comments and info. That is why I just LOVE Hometalk, so many GREAT people to share and share with. Linda, I am enjoying it, would enjoy so much more if not for the darn gnats... doesn't matter what I am doing, or what I use to repel... they just won't leave a person in peace... I'm thinking of building a Bat Cave to entice Bats to my property... lol. We have a FEW bats but not nearly enough to eat all the little buggers! Anyway, thank you all, again... if any of you have any ideas... please pass them along, I love checking my email now... just to see what kind of thinks are on Hometalk!!!

• Barbara Sawyer Barbara Sawyer on Aug 26, 2013
    It takes time and effort to get an area going. You are fortunate to get some shared plants to keep the expense down. That's the joy in gardening is watching it grow and trying out different plants, the old saying goes: You get what you put into it. It's looking good you have a good eye for balance and structure in your beginnings, Keep going I look forward to the process.

• Krsy Krsy on Oct 17, 2013
    It is coming along, don't mind the moss myself as it is alive and lovely shades of green. The earth does look very harsh and with winter coming on probably best leave any more planting till spring time I would think.

• Mikell Paulson Mikell Paulson on Nov 30, 2013
    Shared is good! I shared Iris with a lady in Texas I live in WA. I hope that she enjoys them!