Darlene T
Darlene T
  • Delray, WV

Work in progress

Mikell PaulsonKrsyBarbara Sawyer
+4

Just thought I'd share my work in progress. My husband and I retired to West Virginia about 5 years ago and I've been s-l-o-w-l-y working on this garden. a...huh... "diamond" in the (very) rough :-)
SO... what do you all think. This is the garden I want to add some kind of water feature to, here in WV we have LOTS of slate/shale, I thought it would be nice to incorporate the slate/shale into the water "art"
This is my garden before I started. Had a few plants from prior owners of house. Cute, but needs lots of TLC
last winter... poor pitiful garden... the moss grows everywhere around here
few more item and flowers and it's actually resembling... something... those little red and white flowers and 'Candy Cane' something or another?
add some pretty orange Day Lilies
add some pretty orange Day Lilies
Autumn Joy
Autumn Joy
Does anyone know what these are... I just thought they were so pretty, so I bought them. I think we use to call them Texas Roses???
Still needs lots of work, but it's getting there. A dear friend is sharing her plants with me so I am not having to spend load of $$ (which I don't have anyway) So I want to THANK HER, VERY MUCH!!!
  • Marilyn Highley

The little flowers are Portulaca, sometimes called Moss Roses or Rose Moss. They will often reseed themselves and don't mind being a little dry.

• Linda Stone

You will get there. I see progress already. In my yard, I do not know where to start. It is a mess! Hope you are enjoying it.

A garden built of shared plants is a wonderful thing.

• Darlene T

Thanks everyone for your comments and info. That is why I just LOVE Hometalk, so many GREAT people to share and share with. Linda, I am enjoying it, would enjoy so much more if not for the darn gnats... doesn't matter what I am doing, or what I use to repel... they just won't leave a person in peace... I'm thinking of building a Bat Cave to entice Bats to my property... lol. We have a FEW bats but not nearly enough to eat all the little buggers! Anyway, thank you all, again... if any of you have any ideas... please pass them along, I love checking my email now... just to see what kind of thinks are on Hometalk!!!

• Barbara Sawyer

It takes time and effort to get an area going. You are fortunate to get some shared plants to keep the expense down. That's the joy in gardening is watching it grow and trying out different plants, the old saying goes: You get what you put into it. It's looking good you have a good eye for balance and structure in your beginnings, Keep going I look forward to the process.

• Krsy

It is coming along, don't mind the moss myself as it is alive and lovely shades of green. The earth does look very harsh and with winter coming on probably best leave any more planting till spring time I would think.

• Mikell Paulson

Shared is good! I shared Iris with a lady in Texas I live in WA. I hope that she enjoys them!