Styrofoam Heads Garden Pots-Cute and Unique

These are so fun to make and very cute in the garden. First you find yourself a styrofoam head that you use for wigs to sit on. I usually pick mine up at garage sales or 2nd hand stores. I don't pay mote than $3.00 for one.
Do a little surgery by cutting off the top of the head and then carve out a hole large enough to plant a groundcover in.
Next spray paint the face and hand paint the eyes and lips. Add your own personal touch with costume jewelry.
They are so cute you can even start naming your family. This young lady looks like a Miss Daisy.
You can add a stake and give your buddy a home.

• Styrofoam heads
  • Costume jewellery

• Johanna

Very creative. How do the heads hold up outdoors?

• Porland1624

Went you water the plants how they drainig the water did you put soil inside?

• PattieJune

Just poke 5-6 holes in the bottom about the size of a pencil. **

• Porland1624

Thank you Pattie

• Teri

I have had some outside for years and they are still as strong as ever. When I water them I just mist their head with the hose. No holes and no problems.

• D. K

What do you use to spray the color of the head?

• Susan Veldez

The surface of "Miss Daisy's" face looks bumpy. Did you texturize it with something first before you painted it?

• Annette Hodge Steadham

If you don't use Styrofoam spray paint, regular spray paint partially melts the Styrofoam making it look bumpy and textured. It's your choice.

• Terri Berger

I personally prefer the bumpy/textured look!

• Susan Veldez

Ok, thank you. These are so fun. My friends and I are going to have to make some. Love that pitted look the best.

• Fan6291390

There are spray paints made for plastic; Design Master and Krylon make them. As long as you apply the paint with light, even sweeping strokes, you can get the desired color that you want.

• Gwen Nicholson

If you want a fantastic weatherproof surface on these polystyrene heads use paverpol and Paverplast. This will give a smooth surface....If you add paversand (available in fine and coarse) you can get amazing textures...you will cover all the dents and ripples and it will dry as had as a rock. Information on paversand can be obtained at www.paverpol.com where the suppliers in your country will be listed Gwen Nicholson - New Zealand Importer

• Karen Rousseau Becker

Are the heads sprayed with textured paint or do you put sand in the paint? Also do you think this would work on a dolls head (rubber)? I would like a child's face to go along with my "family"

• Alyce Lenzen

They actually make a paint for styrofoam. Regular spray paint will sometimes "dissolve " the styrofoam. You can get it in most craft stores- Michaels, Hobby Lobby etc.

• Karen Rousseau Becker

Thanks Alyce. Appreciate the help. Will be looking for heads lol

• Terri Berger

Me too! Very cute idea!

• Janet Beerman

Seems to me that you could glue sand onto the surface of the styrofoam with a waterproof glue. Then paint, if desired.

• Barbara Ault

Regular spray paint "pits" the styrofoam and makes it look stone. A water based primer will seal it.

• Joanna

how do you keep it from blowing over, it must be fairly light.

• Teri

They are on a stake and stuck into the ground. My stakes are metal.

• Gwen Nicholson

If you want a fantastic weatherproof surface on these polystyrene heads use paverpol and Paverplast. This will give a smooth surface....If you add paversand (available in fine and coarse) you can get amazing textures...you will cover all the dents and ripples and it will dry as had as a rock. Information on paversand can be obtained at www.paverpol.com where the suppliers in your country will be listed (Gwen Nicholson NZ Importer)

• Patty

Where do you find styrofoam paint?

• Kathy Eovino

A florist supply store should have it.

• Thalia Kottke

Michaels Stores carry DesignMaster paint made to paint Styrofoam.

• Dougal

You can use rubnbuff , that works really well and doesn't melt the polystyrene

• Teri

All of these are made with regular spray paint. It doesn't melt them. The bumpy ones are ones that have been out into the woods for years and I just re-sprayed them. The heads had the rough texture and didn't change at all with the matte spray paint.

• Penny Buxkler

Love creating these.

, I spray painted this head but held the can of paint about 3 feet from the head and it didn t bump up Then I put foundation makeup on her then eye makeup and lipstick, This girl got spray painted too close and got bumps on one side I used foundation makeup and eye makeup blush and lipstick She has asparagus fern as her Mohawk I ll be used PVC pipe to show them off in my front yard
    • Teri

I just love how they all have their own personality. Thanks for sharing.

• Jj

how do you make the nose

• Becky

There already on the head. Just decorate the head

• Patty

Where do you find rubnbuff? Lol

• Marcia Kellam Brown

What did you use for the stake?

• Teri

I had some metal stakes I found at a garage sale. Not sure what they were from. A wooden dowel would work too just wouldn't last as long as a metal stake.

• Mary Ellen

You could buy 3/4 inch copper or pvc pipe at a hardware store. Most will cut it for you to a length you like.

• Mary Ellen

By the way, Teri, it's a super cute idea; thanks so much for sharing!

• Mar4293929

I just found one of these heades in it's old head box.looks tocome from the 70's.now i know what to do with it.o now my question what kind of paint did you use in the frist picture looks textered?

• Teri

No texture paint. I use regular spray paint and it works just fine. Someone said it melts the styrofoam, but it doesn't. I have always used just regular spray paint for years. The texture look in the first picture was the way the styrofoam head was. I picked it up at a garage sale and was in bad shape.

• Jennie Lee

I had styrofoam melt once, from spray paint. Maybe the type of paint was different. I'd suggest trying the paint on the extra foam you discarded, first. I have a cement hanging planter that looks like a renaissance lady's head. I put asparagus fern it it. Her name is Flora.

• Susan Lind

I paint the foam balls at christmas time. I sprayed directly on one of ,y balls and it melted immediately, so I seal them first with acrylic, I would use a skin tone acrylic and do the eyes and then when I'm finished I would give it a couple coats of clear spray.

• Janice Van Cleve Rasmussen

The heads are a harder, more solid styrofoam than , for instance, the balls. I've had that kind of styro melt as well. Had some melt from the sealer....

• Linda Rae

No question ----I made one of these a couple of years ago, her name is Blossom!!!

• Kensinger Leilani

How well do they hold up outside?

• UpState

Just keep raccoons away from them. They're little devils. They love to tear styrofoam; don't seem to eat it; but rip it up. Maybe a heavy coat of polyurethane may deter the little (or huge) rodents to save the heads from mangalation !

• Teri

I have had some of these out for 4 years. I have re-painted their eyes and lips and sometimes spray painted their heads. They seem to take our winters well with all the rain and sometime snow.

• Kwj6385987

A lot of the plant holders are made of styrofoam, I have purchased many & they have held up for years. I do suggest spraying polyurethane or paint.

• Dreamin of Home

How did you achieve the texture? Surely not just a paint???

• Teri

I didn't do anything but spray painted the heads. I guess it's just the way the head was when I painted it to look texture.

• Judy

That's what spray paint does to Styrofoam.

• Dreamin of Home

thanks! gotta give this a try

• Kip3217449

Where do you get the Styrofoam heads?

• WENDY

craft stores

• Teri

I pick them up at garage sales or 2nd hand stores when I see them. You can get them at beauty salon supply store but they run usually $4 and up.

• Janice Van Cleve Rasmussen

Hmmmmm...I wonder what became of the one I had MANY years ago to hold a wig 🤔

• Janice Van Cleve Rasmussen

I was freaked out at first, but they kind of grow on you as your imagination kicks in ! ☺️. Thrift stores, here I come !!! 😆

• Teri

Once you make one the family starts to grow. lol

• Jackie

She definately is in dire need of a chemical peel!!! LOL Seriously tho, I Love This! I look forward to trying this in the near future.

• Teri

lol that's for sure. Definitely and someone to teach her how to wear make-up.

• Tink Landrum

You can also order them online from Walmart. I believe I paid $3.00 for mine.

• Jeannie Oldham

You can get cheaply from Beauty Supply stores such as Sally's

• Vicki

hi there they are looking great-wot paint do you use as it looks like a spray but if enamel based will eat into polystroyn..here one i did but ca only use indoor..

• Teri

Vicki it is that time of year again where I start making my people heads. I use regular spray paint on them. The trick is a many lite coats so it doesn't eat away the polystyrene. Have fun!

• Toye

Do you treat them with something so they stand up to the weather?

• Teri

I don't they stay out all year long in the rain, snow, and anything else that comes along. I have repainted the face before just to bring them back to life again.

• Toye

I like that answer, thanks.

• Kelly Lindsay

Styrofoam heads are on E-bay - for about $3.00 dollars each.

• Candace

Thank You Kelly!! I just ordered a male and a female head on ebay. Can't wait til they arrive!!

• Candace

I also wanted to know what kind of paint to use, but I googled painting styrofoam and got my answers that way. It seems a good primer coat is the key, then you can use any kind of paint - "enamel" spray or metallic or granite, etc. Gonna give it a try!