Richard
Richard
  • Gainesville, GA

Mold on house siding

Mary SJudy GMark C
+12

I would like the formula that Mark C has for getting rid of mold on house sideing
  • KMS Woodworks

I think the cleaning method should take into consideration the material...being cleaned. Vinyl siding with mold will react differently than wood siding. Bleach should never be used on Wood. I'll tag @Mark C For general outdoor cleaning I would go with the "oxy" type cleaners.

• Yair Spolter

Richard, to ask @Mark C you should ask your question as a comment on this post: http://www.hometalk.com/1740556/how-to-clean-vinyl-siding . Just type in the comment box and click "Comment". Good luck!

• Richard

How do I ask Mark C? When I ask the question in the message tab, it says he has to be following me.

• Yair Spolter

You are not able to send him a direct message unless he follows you, but if you comment on this post and/or tag him (type "@Mark C and choose him from the dropdown) he will be notified and hopefully will respond. Good luck!

• Richard

"@Mark C I would like your formula for getting mold off home vinyl siding

• LandlightS

Richard...if you go to the link that Yair posted, you find his formula that is for vinyl siding. Good luck...Gary

• Mark C

k here it is. Go to a pool supply store and buy sodium hypoclorite [liquid chlorine] it is much more powerful than household bleach. Mix with water to a 12%ratio ie one gallon sodium hypoclorite to 11 gallons of water. Spray the mixture through a garden sprayer or similar sprayer onto the home let it sit 15-20 minutes and hose it off with your water hose. Be careful with the raw chemical as it is very strong and will burn holes in your clothes as well as iritate your skin. If mixed properly you will see the mold turn to a brownish color soon after it gets sprayed

• Mark C

@KMS Woodworks Love your pics it sure seems like you do GREAT work. I myself have been a Carpenter since 1973 and take GREAT pride in my work. Just wanted to let you know that as long as wood siding is painted or stained with a solid stain. That my formular to clean it will not harm it in anyway. The only siding it will hurt is white cedar that has benn left natural to weather. I have used a much stronger solution on a red cedar roof to kill moss and it did not harm it at all. P S I do roof and siding softwashing on my days off from my full time job. If you would like more info. contact me.

• Wanda Borror

I live in a trailer and I have moss growing on the back side eould you please tell me how to get rid of it TY

• Richard

See Mark C's formula. I haven't tried it yet.

• Tiff

I would like to get the moss off my roof. @Marc C

• KMS Woodworks

@Tiff for roof moss check out this article I wrote. http://www.networx.com/article/roofing-rx-treatment-for-a-mossy-roof

• Mark C

NEVER scrape moss from a roof. Moss attaches to a roof just like a tick attaches to an animal. Scraping it from the roof will damage the roof and cause it to fail early. As A roof cleaner I apply my cleaning solution using a soft wash system under 60psi and let it sit. The rain will wash the dead moss off the roof in a few weeks without damaging the surface of the roof. As for the comment posted on the article Bleach does not Harm a roof at all. If you would like look it up on line at RCIA [ roof cleaning institute of america]

• Judy G

Will this hurt plants shrubs and grass around house?

• Mary S

@Mark C what is in the cleaning solution for the roof??