Tracy Boyle
Tracy Boyle
  • Senoia, GA

Patio Furniture Cushion Replacements

Patricia ClevelandAnne BarnhartStephanie
+16

I have standard wicker patio furniture that I've had for about 4 years now and I need to replace the foam insides (the fabric is fine). When I google locations for purchasing foam batting, I get expensive and sizes that are too large. Does anyone have any suggestions on swapping out your old foam for new foam?
q patio furniture cushion replacements, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, painted furniture, patio
  • KMS Woodworks

I've seen some foam available at some bigger hardware stores and also at hobby and Fabric stores. Is there a Joann Fabrics near you?

• Alexandra Arena

That's some beautiful wicker furniture, Tracy! Hope someone offers you a quick & affordable solution for cushions!

• Lara Pavel

I have priced foam at the fabric stores and it is outrageous. I have heard the suggestion of buying the foam that you use to make a bed more comfortable and cutting them to size-way cheaper!!!

• Kathy

Do you have an Army Surplus Store? I do not know the cost, but they also sell sheets of foam. My ex-hub restored an old car, had to reupholster seats. He paid a small fortune for the foam.

• KrysFL

When I was determining whether to make or buy my cushions, I found a lot of people just bought a foam mattress and cut to size. Honestly though, I found my seat cushions at target and they were $30 a piece. My Walmart just marked down their cushions 25%. I would look to buy new cushions because it will be cheaper than buying the foam and making your own. And if you are set on using the fabric you have, just slide it over the fabric already on the new cushions.

• DeAnna Whisenant-Arnold

Foam is expensive. I would suggest buying cushions at a dollar store (Fred's has them). You can recover them if you do not like the design. Premier Fabrics has an online store you can buy their fabric directly from their Sherman, MS. store very reasonably.

• Tammy Brenner

Target has cushions marked down 30 to 50 % off right now. Or wait until 4th of this month I know Joann's usually does a 50% off coupon and you could use it for the foam. Hobby Lobby probably does the same thing.

• Tracy Boyle

Thank you for all of the responses! I will check these out. My problem is that my cushions are OVERSIZED for my wicker. Anything I purchase at Wal-Mart, etc. is too short.

• Margita

I have ordered replacement cushions at http://www.cushionsxpress.com/ and found them to be good quality and reasonably priced.

• Gail Salminen

@Tracy Boyle have you considered adding batting around the foam to boost it up. This is a lot cheaper. We actually replaced out cushions from Lowes - was cheaper and the original cushions were faded anyway. We use inexpensive plastic covers from Walmart to protect the fabric from the rain, so that is not a problem.

• Z

Tracy, make sure you get the new outdoor foam unless you plan on bringing them in every night to protect it from dew, rain or moisture in the air. It actually looks more like a batting so it's airy and dries quickly. You're best bet might be to wait until the end of summer clearance and buy lounge chair cushions and use the batting from them by cutting them to size.

• Cynthia

I bought some cheap foam used on beddings at Walmart. Cut out squares and restuffed my coach cushions. I assume you can do the same.

• Debbie

If you have an Ollies Store near you , they sell the foam really reasonable . http://www.olliesbargainoutlet.com/

• Lydia Whitehead Torres

You could use cheap foam but it will need to be replace in a couple of years. It would be better to purchase an outdoor foam and automotive type polyester padding. Check with a local upholstery shop that does furniture or automotive. They will be able to get the correct type and firmness of foam for you. They may even cut it to the correct sizes for you. If they cannot or won't cut it for you, use an electric knife to cut the foam. It works fast and is much easier than trying to use a pair of scissors or a standard knife. Wish I live closer to you, I have done this many times. Best of luck.

• Karen Young

an upholstery shop should have outdoor foam especially one that sells fabric.

• Stephanie

Having owned an upholstery business years ago by all means you should go to an upholstery shop and tell them what you want the foam for and they can either get it for you or tell you where you can buy it and have it not cost you an arm and a leg. Enjoy

• Anne Barnhart

start searching around at the end of the season's when you need things like this and then purchase 2 sets so the next time they are needed you will have an extra set put away, my husband did that a few years ago and we just now used the second set. happy hunting

• Patricia Cleveland

Fabric stores sell foam as well- esp. Joann's.