Patriotic Glass Gem Coasters

I love coasters. It's an addiction I freely admit. I love making them with tile, cork, wood rounds, even concrete. I'm excited that I've found another new medium to make more coasters with and I decided that I needed some fun Patriotic coasters for the upcoming 4th of July BBQs and celebrations!
While there is significant dry and cure times for these coasters the actual busy work only takes 10-15 minutes. It's super simple!
You need large flat glass gems (I find mine at the dollar store usually but if your dollar store doesn't have them you can order them online) 3D gloss enamel paint, E6000 glue and felt (optional)
I used gloss enamel paint (affiliate) to cover the flat side of my glass stones. I used red, white and blue but you could really use any color you wanted. You could even leave them just clear. I like the gloss enamel paint because it can be baked on for a permanent, washable finish.
I used E6000 glue (affiliate) to hold the pebbles together. It dries clear, and has a good grip on the glass pebbles. Once it's fully cured it's hard as a rock and I've not yet had any coasters break apart! A little dot of glue between each pebble all the way around. I let my coasters cure on a silicone baking mat because the glue won't stick to it when it's dry and you can just lift the coasters right off.
You can glue matching felt to the bottom of the coasters if you want more protection for the table surface. I opted to leave mine plain. You could also stick small felt pads to them as well. The smooth glass pebbles have been just fine on my surfaces however and I like that the glass is opaque this way.
Check out the blog link below for more information and pictures.

Kelli @CraftShackChronicles

• Star

Love this idea! But wouldn't it be easier to buy colored stones?

• Cristi Roe

Painting the stones is key for a custom look. I love your patriotic idea! I'd love a demonstration of baking the enamel paint for permanance.

• Sally

How long do you bake the glass and can it be with glue on it?

• Angel

You don't bake them. Just allow them to dry on a silicone baking mat for easy removal after they dry.

• Terry Martell

How do edges look silver

• Jan

I've used nail polish on the bottom. Another time I used nail polish with glitter in it, painted it on, let it dry & then put black nail polish as the final coat. It really sparkles using the black as the last coat, it gives the color glitter a pop.

• Ann Edmondson

I decorated mine with different designs for each member of the family. Dragon eye, unicorn, dolphin and flowers (or whatever you want to use). I printed the design from my computer, placed on opposite side of coaster (after glue dried) and then went to town painting. The each love them.

• OceeB

would love to see pics of your finished ones.