Melissa Ingalsbe
Melissa Ingalsbe
  • Oviedo, FL

Does anyone know how to clean a copper cauldron/Kettle?

KimLindyMelody Smith
+17

I have a large copper cauldron used by my father to make apple butter --hung over a fire pit? I would like to clean/shine it up to turn it into a side table? Does anyone have any ideas what would get the carbon off the bottom without damaging the copper?
  • Tammy Kelleher

I have used clean copper bottomed pots and pans with a combination of salt, vinegar, and some elbow grease, but it does scratch... :/ good luck... There are on the shelf products in the cleaning aisle of must grocery stores and hardware stores are likely to carry something that will do the job...

• LandlightS

Go to your local Ace or big box store and look for "Brasso" it will work wonders. Gary

• Linda Stone

Try toothpaste, but not the 'gel' kind. Rub all over the item and then use a soft cloth to remove the toothpaste and rub until the copper shines. I have used this on brass as well. Works like a charm.

• Shari

When I was a teenager, it was my job to wash dishes after dinner, which included cleaning the copper bottoms of my mom's Revereware pots and pans each time she used them. We used "Copper Glo" (which is a Barkeeper's Friend product). It worked well, with minimal scrubbing. I assume it is still available in stores but since I had my fill of cleaning copper years ago, I definitely have no desire to own anything copper now.

• Save Graves

I just tried Brasso on an apple butter old kettle but didn't really work. Will try the other suggestions now

• Sia@South 47th

@Save Graves Try Plain ole tomato ketchup. Has worked for me for decades. xo

• 6ft1003592

Cigar or cigarette ashes

• Daisy'smum

Think I read about using a lemon, rubbed on.

• CAROL

i too have used ketchup on my good copper bracelet....rinse and buff...sparkles..

• Jeannette

Just saw someone on here using ketchup for that.

• Tzippora

Citric acid (also known as lemon salt or sour salt) works well with hot water and a sponge.

• Anderson Michael

Make Your Kettle Clean Up And Shine With Citric Acid Lemon Salt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXqyiB8eD1c" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXqyiB8eD1c

• Anderson Michael

• Cyndy Coy

Melissa, did you ever end up making a table out of your cauldron? I have one and am curious what you ended up doing.
    • Kim

I have one too that I would like to make a table out of.
      Did you make one?
  • Lt_8380578

Lemon juice cleans copper beautifully. I have a copper mixing bowl that I spread a thin layer of ketchup on, let sit for an hour, wipe with cloth, buff. Viola
  • Sherry H.

If these ideas, go to Home Depot and ask. They will tell you.
  • Melody Smith

apple cider vinegar and salt its like magic pour on vinegar and then salt let sit and then scrub with a chore boy

• Lindy

There is a special copper cleaner on the market that I have used for years and would highly recommend. Wrights Copper Cleaner is not like the ketchup/salt method which I have also used, but by golly the stuff works fast and takes the stains from high heat cooking such as what you mentioned off easily. It contains citric acid and ammonium chloride so should not be harmful to anyone. Once you clean it up I would recommend spraying with a good coat of clear sealer to prevent tarnish.
  • Kim

How are you going to make a side table out of it? I have one but don't know what I will do to make it a table. Thanks!