Barbara Passaro
Barbara Passaro
  • Hopewell Junction, NY

Planters Around Our Pool Area

Planters really have added a lot of color for us...the problem with planters is that they require regular watering so they do not dry out and get leggy.
planters around our pool area, gardening

• Gail Salminen

@Barbara Passaro beautiful, you have the same love of pots around the pool that I do. Will have to take some pics of mine too! I always look for more pots at the end of the summer when they are on sale. I love to pick up cheap tropicals to put in the big pots - Walmarts had great prices this year. I usually go with the verbenum, impatiens, lobeliea and spikes, but do have some perennial grasses in a few. But on the deck love the begonias - a little more shade there. You have a very inviting pool area. Thanks for sharing. @Jim G it also helps to use a flower fetilizer - miracle grow works great. Trying a new experiment this year - posted here on HT - using a soaked baby diaper (clean of course LOL) which is supposed to help maintain moisture in the pot. Can't tell you how it works yet, because we have had a very rainy spring/summer so far.

• Jim G

interesting! I'll have to research that and see what people say a bout the diaper! ironically, we've been using Miracle grow for a bunch of years, in-fact still have a mix concentrate my wife made for me to use and that seemed to work well in The sunroom during the winter months. , One lady in a garden store told me to use a different fertilizer called Ferti-Lome (7-22-8); seemed to be OK, but nothing like I see in these pots. I just bought another called Green Light Super Bloom (12-55-06) and like to experiment with sides of the yard to see which works better! Thank you. (I LOVE the pots near the edge of the pool, but live close to a river and the winds are crazy here, so I get very nervous of coming out one day and finding one in the pool!