DIY Pallet Swing Bed

This post was submitted to the Grillo Designs blog by Marcie Goodman. She shares a great step by step tutorial on how how she created this swinging bed from pallets for her deck! Hard to believe right? Keep reading! (You can also see other DIY PALLET project ideas on the blog by clicking HERE)

What she used: She used 2 x 4' and 4 x 4' disassembled pallets. She used other materials too which you can view by clicking HERE (its quite an extensive material list, but dont be put off!

Marcie gathered pallet wood and used a sawzall to disassembled the pallets.Using a nail punch and hammer, she drove nail heads out from the cut side.

Next she sanded! She then started building the frame. She cut 4 X 4's into 16" lengths. Placed 4 X 4 into inside all 4 corners of frame. Placed 4" angle bracket halfway onto the outside of 2 X 4 and drill pilot hole thru 2 X 4 and into 4 X 4. (she used last hole of L bracket). Using 5" lag bolts & ratchet lag bolts into place. she drilled another hole on other side of bracket, (she used 2nd hole this time, ratchet lag bolt). Repeat on all 4 corners. Using sawzall, cut off excess lag bolt that punched through. She found the Center of back of swing bed, placed last 4 X 4 centered inside frame. Placed mending plate centered on outside of 2 X 4, drill pilot hole, and ratchet at least one lag bolt.

She measured and cut 2 X 4's to fit from center 2 X 4's to the inside frame. these will be perpendicular to the center of center 2 X 4's. This will provide more strength and something to screw boards to. Lag bolt them in from the side.

She then covered frame with more pallets

She used a specific method to cut out the arm rests which you can find at blog link below for full step by step process

She then sanded all edges to remove all sharp edges. Stained with brush, and applied polyurethane according to instructions.

To finalise she drilled a pilot hole and screwed in a screw eye, to attach the chain PLEASE check with hardware store for chain sizes, screw eye and chain connector D ring for strength and compatibility.

She then added a foam seating a voila!

Please note this is a large project to tackle so please visit the blog (www.grillo-designs.com) or at link below to view full tutorial

• Pallets
  • Foam seating
  • Screw eye

Medina at Grillo Designs

• Glenda Harding

Can I make this smaller? My porch is too small built as is.
    • Barbara

I made this smaller, you just need to take your measurements and cut accordingly.

I made mine to use an old crib mattress

• Glenda Harding

I posted earlier about making this smaller since my porch is small. I have one pallet. How many would I need?
    I love the swing. Memories of grandparents!
  • Sherris

I'm always concerned about any fabric decoration (pillows, cushions, etc.) being used on porches, patios, decks or whatever OUTSIDE. Don't they get dirty, dusty, buggy and damp from dew or rain, even a sprinkle wiuld ruin it. I don't want to be taking this stuff in and out of the house or being worried about the weather. Am I alone on this?

• Nikki Thompson

Just use a crib mattress it's already waterproof and crib sheets then you can swap them out and wash them easily! As far as pillows you can get patio furniture pillows that are waterproof and then just spray them down and wash them with your water hose and a scrub brush! Hope that helps 😊