DIY Pallet Swing Bed

This post was submitted to the Grillo Designs blog by Marcie Goodman. She shares a great step by step tutorial on how how she created this swinging bed from pallets for her deck! Hard to believe right? Keep reading! (You can also see other DIY PALLET project ideas on the blog by clicking HERE)
diy pallet swing bed, how to, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, pallet, woodworking projects
What she used: She used 2 x 4' and 4 x 4' pallets. She used other materials too which you can view by clicking HERE (its quite an extensive material list, but dont be put off!
Marcie gathered pallet wood and used a sawzall to cut apart the pallets.Using a nail punch and hammer, she drove nail heads out from the cut side. Next she sanded! She then started building the frame .she cut 4 X 4's into 16" lengths. Placed 4 X 4 into inside all 4 corners of frame. Placed 4" angle bracket halfway onto the outside of 2 X 4 and drill pilot hole thru 2 X 4 and into 4 X 4. (she used last hole of L bracket). Using 5" lag bolts & ratchet lag bolts into place. she drilled another hole on other side of bracket, (she used 2nd hole this time, ratchet lag bolt). Repeat on all 4 corners. Using sawzall, cut off excess lag bolt that punched through. She found the Center of back of swing bed, placed last 4 X 4 centered inside frame. Placed mending plate centered on outside of 2 X 4, drill pilot hole, and ratchet at least one lag bolt.
She measured and cut 2 X 4's to fit from center 2 X 4's to the inside frame. these will be perpendicular to the center of center 2 X 4's. This will provide more strength and something to screw boards to. Lag bolt them in from the side.
She then covered frame with more pallets
She used a specific method to cut out the arm rests which you can find at blog link below for full step by step process
She then sanded all edges to remove all sharp edges. Stained with brush, and applied polyurethane according to instructions.
To finalise she drilled a pilot hole and screwed in a screw eye, to attach the chain PLEASE check with hardware store for chain sizes, screw eye and chain connector D ring for strength and compatibility.
She then added a foam seating a voila!
Please note this is a large project to tackle so please visit the blog (www.grillo-designs.com) or at link below to view full tutorial

• Pallets
  • Foam seating
  • Screw eye
Medina at Grillo Designs

• Libby

Hi- Are you able to change out the screw eye for one that goes through the wood and locks down with washers and nuts? I love your project and advice to check for weight, but having used screw eyes rated above 1,000lbs. each on a small swing, and laving it break on us, landing my husband and myself onto the concrete (ouch), they worry me! When I had a swing attached to my ceiling this past year, the handyman used eyes that bolt up through the boards, into the attic. Anyway- awesome project - thanks for sharing!

• Glenda Harding

Can I make this smaller? My porch is too small built as is.

• Glenda Harding

I posted earlier about making this smaller since my porch is small. I have one pallet. How many would I need?
    I love the swing. Memories of grandparents!