DIY Pallet Swing Bed

This post was submitted to the Grillo Designs blog by Marcie Goodman. She shares a great step by step tutorial on how how she created this swinging bed from pallets for her deck! Hard to believe right? Keep reading! (You can also see other DIY PALLET project ideas on the blog by clicking HERE)

What she used: She used 2 x 4' and 4 x 4' disassembled pallets. She used other materials too which you can view by clicking HERE (its quite an extensive material list, but dont be put off!

Marcie gathered pallet wood and used a sawzall to disassembled the pallets.Using a nail punch and hammer, she drove nail heads out from the cut side.

Next she sanded! She then started building the frame. She cut 4 X 4's into 16" lengths. Placed 4 X 4 into inside all 4 corners of frame. Placed 4" angle bracket halfway onto the outside of 2 X 4 and drill pilot hole thru 2 X 4 and into 4 X 4. (she used last hole of L bracket). Using 5" lag bolts & ratchet lag bolts into place. she drilled another hole on other side of bracket, (she used 2nd hole this time, ratchet lag bolt). Repeat on all 4 corners. Using sawzall, cut off excess lag bolt that punched through. She found the Center of back of swing bed, placed last 4 X 4 centered inside frame. Placed mending plate centered on outside of 2 X 4, drill pilot hole, and ratchet at least one lag bolt.

She measured and cut 2 X 4's to fit from center 2 X 4's to the inside frame. these will be perpendicular to the center of center 2 X 4's. This will provide more strength and something to screw boards to. Lag bolt them in from the side.

She then covered frame with more pallets

She used a specific method to cut out the arm rests which you can find at blog link below for full step by step process

She then sanded all edges to remove all sharp edges. Stained with brush, and applied polyurethane according to instructions.

To finalise she drilled a pilot hole and screwed in a screw eye, to attach the chain PLEASE check with hardware store for chain sizes, screw eye and chain connector D ring for strength and compatibility.

She then added a foam seating a voila!

Please note this is a large project to tackle so please visit the blog (www.grillo-designs.com) or at link below to view full tutorial

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
15 Perfectly Round Tables
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Medina at Grillo Designs

• Glenda Harding

I posted earlier about making this smaller since my porch is small. I have one pallet. How many would I need?
    I love the swing. Memories of grandparents!
    • Randal

Measure your porch, and then decide what size will fit. You will just have to modify the plans, but it looks pretty basic really. Just make sure it is solid, and the frame is all sturdy. It looks as if she used one big pallet to build this, but if you do use two, I recommend make the fram first. I don't think it would be wise trying to put two skids together side by side. If you understand what I am trying to tell you. I hope this helps

• Sherris

I'm always concerned about any fabric decoration (pillows, cushions, etc.) being used on porches, patios, decks or whatever OUTSIDE. Don't they get dirty, dusty, buggy and damp from dew or rain, even a sprinkle wiuld ruin it. I don't want to be taking this stuff in and out of the house or being worried about the weather. Am I alone on this?

• EmmaSurf

There's fabric and filling made for outdoor use

• Helena Lewis

Can this b made into a daybed for living room and reinforced to support 300 pounds ?

• Zeke

The project is worth sharing, but the write-up does quite a bit to illustrate exactly why these articles should be run through either a human editor or editing program for content, spelling and word usage. Our modern educational system at work doubtlessly.

• Kathy

Yes