Making a Trumeau Mirror from an Old Door

I found this old door at a thrift store, and thought it might make a great mirror.
making a trumeau mirror from an old door, painting, repurposing upcycling, I found this old door for 2 50 at a thrift store I turned it upside down and made the bottom the top
I found this old door for $2.50 at a thrift store. I turned it upside down and made the bottom the top.
making a trumeau mirror from an old door, doors, painting, repurposing upcycling, I used citrus paint remover to strip the paint Then I sanded it well
I used citrus paint remover to strip the paint. Then I sanded it well.
making a trumeau mirror from an old door, painting, repurposing upcycling, I added some trim and some appliques Construction adhesive kept most of it in place clamps and tape kept the trim from moving around I also had to fill the holes where the door handle was using wood plugs and filler
I added some trim and some appliques. Construction adhesive kept most of it in place, clamps and tape kept the trim from moving around. I also had to fill the holes where the door handle was, using wood plugs and filler.
making a trumeau mirror from an old door, painting, repurposing upcycling, Then I painted the frame I used left over latex house paint in gray with a white wash on top
Then I painted the frame. I used left over latex house paint in gray, with a white wash on top.
making a trumeau mirror from an old door, painting, repurposing upcycling, This can of magic turns regular glass into a mirror I found mine at Mr Arts I used 5 cans If you let each coat dry completely before adding another one it turns out much better Be sure to wear a mask
This can of magic turns regular glass into a mirror. I found mine at Mr. Arts. I used 5 cans. If you let each coat dry completely before adding another one, it turns out much better. Be sure to wear a mask.
making a trumeau mirror from an old door, painting, repurposing upcycling, And that was it This took about 5 days to complete since I just worked on it a few hours a day Stripping the paint took the most time but if you find a door with a nice surface you could skip that step
And that was it! This took about 5 days to complete, since I just worked on it a few hours a day. Stripping the paint took the most time, but if you find a door with a nice surface, you could skip that step.
making a trumeau mirror from an old door, painting, repurposing upcycling, The whole project cost about 65 including the door I used a lot of scraps of trim and moulding we already had
The whole project cost about $65, including the door. I used a lot of scraps of trim and moulding we already had.
making a trumeau mirror from an old door, doors, painting, repurposing upcycling, If you can miter corners you can do this
If you can miter corners, you can do this!
making a trumeau mirror from an old door, doors, painting, repurposing upcycling, A lot of impact for not a lot of money
A lot of impact for not a lot of money!

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

2 of 33 comments
Next