Berma M
Berma M
  • Eustace, TX

When to Pick BUTTERCUP SQUASH Not to Be Confused With Butternut

Dawn HowardBerma MJudy
+7

I have never grown this squash. I am not sure when to pick it. From what I have gleaned on the internet this may be right. It said the curly tentacle would have withered and the stem would be turning hard. Also the skin would be too tough to stick your nail through it. I did not want to try that one. What do you think yes or a bit longer? I have a lot out there but a few more I could pick.
bloom end of buttercup squash
bloom end of buttercup squash
stem of squash. The video I watched said to leave the stem long.
  • Luis

They look like Spanish Calabaza yum

• Berma M

Thank you for the suggestions but this doesn't answer my question because

• Berma M

I do know this is a buttercup squash. I am just unsure of the harvesting. Some sites say they stay on the vine till fall others say when stem gets rough and ready to detach and the tentacles turn brown and wither. My stem does not seem to be ready to detach but does seem like it is getting woody, like a pumpkin. I have not cut it yet because one site said it needed to cure. I just do not know.

• Marilyn Highley

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-buttercup-squash.htm I suspect you should leave them on the vine a little longer. They are "winter squash" and need to mature on the vine like a pumpkin does is my understanding, but I have never raised this particular variety. The stems in the pic still look pretty green.

• Caley's Culinaries

Haven't grown this, but have grown pumpkins and watermelons for sale. Turned out not to be too critical when we harvested them. The watermelon ripened after we picked it and the pumpkin stems hardened. The leftovers of both lasted all winter! I have read the same "curly tendril dies" and "it should slip from the stem" stuff about them. Sometimes when we left them, they got bug and critter damage. Good luck!

• Berma M

That has been my fear here bugs are starting to get bad and the 97-100 degree days are starting to get pretty regular. Hard to keep watered well in the sandy land. Thanks for the info.

• Judy

Here's a good video on the subject. Worth watching just to listen to his accent! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT_pxQVbM_c BTW, I wouldn't worry about bugs with the more mature squash. Winter squash have a hard outer shell that few bugs will bother trying to chew through.

• Berma M

Thank you so much. I came across this video before posting but wasn't too sure of this site. I have since spoken too a tried and true local farmer at the market and she also suggested this mans videos. Apparently he knows his stuff. Thanks again. I cut one up today and roasted it. It needed nothing added to it. YUMMY!!!

• Dawn Howard

It seems to me that my parents left them in the garden till frost killed the foliage. The skin will be dark. I think these are young. Open a smaller one and see what it looks like inside. You'll find out for sure and if it is usable now -- stir-fry it, grill, or toss it cubed into a soup!