Catherine
Catherine
  • Columbus, OH

DIY No Sew Drop Cloth Bed Skirt

We've been posting lots of progress photos on Instagram (@beginninginthemiddle), including some of the master bedroom at our historic townhome. When we mentioned that we made the bed skirt ourselves out of painter's drop cloths, and no sewing was involved, many of you asked for a tutorial. Here goes!
diy no sew drop cloth bed skirt, bedroom ideas, diy, how to
Bryan started off by making a very basic bed frame out of plywood and 2x6's. It cost us about $50 and sits 18 off the ground, allowing for storage underneath. To snazz up the frame, we made a flowy, Restoration Hardware inspired bed skirt. Between Michael's and Home Depot, we were able to find everything we needed. Total cost was under $50. - Two 4x15 canvas drop cloths - the regular kind, not heavy duty! - One 6x9 drop cloth for the surface of the skirt (optional) - Pack of tacks - Fabric scissors (had them), and - An upholstery hammer (if you don't have one, a regular small hammer will do the trick) We used two 4'x15 hallway drop cloths for our Queen bed, and cut them each in half to get two 2'x15 strips. The four 215 strips gave us about 60 feet of gathered length to work with, and 2 feet of height to work with. To attach the skirt to the frame, we used tacks. One fold a time, one tack at a time. It went surprisingly fast (especially with the upholstery hammer).
Because we had ugly plywood on the top of our frame, we covered the whole thing with another 6x9 drop cloth cut to size.
Then we added our mattress, made the bed, and voila! It took us about 1-2 hours for the whole thing.
Having the skirt attached to the bed works for some people and won't work for others. We've made this skirt for four different beds so far, but none of them get high traffic or are exposed to lots of pets, frequent spills, dirt, etc. We vacuum and spot clean as needed, just as we would an upholstered bed or couch, and that does the trick. Even if this isn't for you, you may be able to apply the concept to one of your own that you're able to remove. It looks so wonderful in person, and the best part is that no one can tell it's made from drop cloths ;) For a full tutorial and more photos/details on our process, including info on how we came up with our measurements, head over to the blog! And be sure to connect with us on Instagram for daily photos of our projects (@beginninginthemiddle)

• Canvas drop cloths (4x15 - NOT heavy duty)  (Home Depot)
  • Tacks  (Michaels)
  • Upholstery Hammer  (Had it)
Catherine

• Jill

What are the measurements for a king size bed? And how big of a "pleat", fold over do you do? Do you measure it or just eye it?

• Car34063393

Love your post! But please oh please could you tell me where you got that gorgeous headboard??? 😍

• KB

Love it! You could use the same type of procedure to size down a king size bed skirt to queen. We often buy king size comforter sets because we like the extra coverage on the queen size bed. Did you create the headboard? It's gorgeous! Keep us inspired!

• Doreen Kennedy

Thank you for sharing your beautiful bed skirt. I am getting ready to make one, now I’m definitely going to try to do one like yours. I have a metal bed frame so I’ll have to think of a way to attach it.

• Mamma

I think I would probably use a heavy duty staple gun instead of tacks. I am all about saving my fingers from the hammer. Absolutely love the look of how pretty, yet, practical......