DIY No Sew Drop Cloth Bed Skirt

We've been posting lots of progress photos on Instagram (@beginninginthemiddle), including some of the master bedroom at our historic townhome. When we mentioned that we made the bed skirt ourselves out of painter's drop cloths, and no sewing was involved, many of you asked for a tutorial. Here goes!
Bryan started off by making a very basic bed frame out of plywood and 2x6's. It cost us about $50 and sits 18 off the ground, allowing for storage underneath. To snazz up the frame, we made a flowy, Restoration Hardware inspired bed skirt. Between Michael's and Home Depot, we were able to find everything we needed. Total cost was under $50. - Two 4x15 canvas drop cloths - the regular kind, not heavy duty! - One 6x9 drop cloth for the surface of the skirt (optional) - Pack of tacks - Fabric scissors (had them), and - An upholstery hammer (if you don't have one, a regular small hammer will do the trick) We used two 4'x15 hallway drop cloths for our Queen bed, and cut them each in half to get two 2'x15 strips. The four 215 strips gave us about 60 feet of gathered length to work with, and 2 feet of height to work with. To attach the skirt to the frame, we used tacks. One fold a time, one tack at a time. It went surprisingly fast (especially with the upholstery hammer).
Because we had ugly plywood on the top of our frame, we covered the whole thing with another 6x9 drop cloth cut to size.
Then we added our mattress, made the bed, and voila! It took us about 1-2 hours for the whole thing.
Having the skirt attached to the bed works for some people and won't work for others. We've made this skirt for four different beds so far, but none of them get high traffic or are exposed to lots of pets, frequent spills, dirt, etc. We vacuum and spot clean as needed, just as we would an upholstered bed or couch, and that does the trick. Even if this isn't for you, you may be able to apply the concept to one of your own that you're able to remove. It looks so wonderful in person, and the best part is that no one can tell it's made from drop cloths ;) For a full tutorial and more photos/details on our process, including info on how we came up with our measurements, head over to the blog! And be sure to connect with us on Instagram for daily photos of our projects (@beginninginthemiddle)

3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Catherine

• Sailor

It looks beautiful ,but how are you going to wash it ,dust particulary falls and dust ruffles are called dust ruffles for a reason ,I would of used Velcro.

• Tina Ann

I thought tbe same as you, although it does say in the article that they spot clean hoover etc...but i too think velcro is a great way of doing it ..theirs does look good..their whole bed does.. but it would bother me not being able to remove to wash it ..but then i like doing washing lol

• Lynn

Sooooooooo cute

• Hope

LOVE the headboard!!!!!! Did you make it or buy it..?

• Noele Edwards

If one of those 4 beds is for a guest room, I suggest that you make the length to just above the floor. I know that the "pooled fabric length" is very stylish, but the very young and also senior citizens would find it a tripping hazard.

• Mary Russell

I agree,and was jut thinking how sure it would be that my spouse or I would trip on that bed skirt.

• Pam Davis

Catherine having 8 cats that’s why I knew I’d be washing it all the time LoL I knew your room looked so elegant for a reason. No animals. Enjoy the beauty you created 🤗💓