Chuck B
Chuck B
  • Buckeye, AZ

I would like to make a concrete ramp from my garage floor to my laundry room entrance. I would appreciate any ideas.

Chuck BWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comKMS Woodworks
+2

• 3po3

Do you have a photo of the space? For convenient use, don't do a greater slope than 2 inches per foot, assuming you have the room.

• KMS Woodworks

If this is for ADA access then you need to stay within set parameters for slope, width, hand rails etc? is this the case?

• Chuck B

It's not an ada issue, just a getting shopping cart over the door threshold at home. I built a wooden proto type that works, but something more permanent would be good.

• You simply need to construct or cut two boards at the angle of the ramp you desire. Fasten them down with a little amount of epoxy to keep them from moving then using mortar mix or sand mix not concrete mix pour some and level with a board across the two fastened boards. Make the mix real thick like cookie batter so it does not slump down. Trowel smooth. As it begins to set, take a small floor broom and lightly brush from side to side to create a textured finish so you do not slip. They make edge trowels to round over the cement where it comes into contact with the boards to give it a smooth finish. Once dry simply using a flat pry bar pop off the two form boards on each side to complete the project. The reason why not concrete mix is that it contains stones that will not allow you to feather the edge of the cement to the floor.

• Chuck B

Thanks for the concise response. This answered my question completely. I will try and get it done soon and send a picture.