Antique Hutch/Shelf Upcycle

$0

Hubs and I attended an auction a few years ago and I found a really cool 'shelf' that used to be part of someone's buffet.

It was in rough shape, so I was able to buy it for only $5. It was hard to see the potential (which is why no one wanted it!), but I knew I'd find a use for it one day.
antique hutch shelf upcycle, craft rooms, how to, organizing, repurposing upcycling, shelving ideas
At one time my find would have had a mirror (mine was missing) and would have been attached to the top of a sideboard, similar to the one below found on Pinterest.
Hubs didn't like the shelf at the time (as he liked to remind me up until the makeover), but he kindly still stripped and refinished it for me.

After a new coat of stain and lacquer it languished on some hooks in our basement for years gathering dust, until one day hubs started construction on my craft studio.
With my craft studio underway I knew just what I was going to do with it! It would make a perfect catch-all shelf right above my serger in my sewing room!
Although the shelf is still a work in process, I couldn't wait to share my idea with you. It started out with this plain-jane piece of pegboard:
All I needed to complete my vision was the following items: a painted piece of pegboard cut to fit where the mirror used to be, a point driver tool and some points:
Hubs painted the peg board a glossy crimson orange. My studio is very neutral so it needs some pops of colour.

We flipped the shelf over face side down, inserted the pegboard right side down and spaced the points around the perimeter every six inches or so.
The oak is a hard wood to drive into so it took a bit of grunt work on hubs part...
...to wedge them all in so they'd hold the pegboard securely in place:
Once we turned it around again, I thought it looked great but I still had an idea to improve its functionality even more.
Hubs cut me a piece of sheet metal and painted it orange to match the pegboard. He drilled holes in all four corners to coincide with the peg holes. I positioned the metal panel off-centre on the front side of the pegboard, then we used some nuts and bolts to attach it. While hubs fastened the nuts, I tightened each bolt with an allen key. For a closeup of the fasteners, visit my site.
We flipped it right side up again so I could add these magnetic storage containers:
The magnetic containers are so useful: now I'll have somewhere to store my sewing machine needles, pins, thread bobbins, various sewing feet and any other small item I might need quick access to in the sewing room!
Since the shelf is going above my serger, I'll likely have cones of thread sitting on top of the shelf. Here's a rendering of where we'll be hanging it (on the far wall).
There are 5 holes along the bottom of the shelf so I plan to install cup hooks there to disguise the holes - and to hang my scissors from so they'll always be handy.

My biggest hesitation in hanging this shelf now is twofold: 1. I haven't moved my industrial equipment from my old studio to this one and I want to make sure the shelf will fit (and look good) where I've planned to install it and 2) I plan to hang a pendant light over each machine for task lighting and I don't know if the shelf will even work with the height of the fixture. It's just best to wait until everything is in place so we can judge it in situ before we hang it permanently.

For now the shelf is leaned up against the wall I plan to mount it on. You'll see the final reveal once my studio is finished and it is hung on the wall and accessorized!
In the meantime, you might be interested in catching up on some my previous posts in the Making of a Craft Studio series:

The Making of a Craft Studio (III) - If You Build It, She Will Come! 

The Making of a Craft Studio (IV) - Progress Report 

At Birdz of a Feather, we're feathering the nest... one room at a time. If this project has inspired you, please pin and share on Facebook. Follow our blog here on Hometalk or at Birdz of a Feather (link below this post) to see other DIY and craft projects, in and around the home.

You can also follow us on:

Pinterest: http://bit.ly/BirdzPIN
Facebook: http://bit.ly/BirdzFB
YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT
Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG

• Hutch  (auction)
  • Peg board  (Big box store)

Birdz of a Feather