Delusions of ingenuity
Delusions of ingenuity
  • Eureka, IL

Mid-Century Hutch Makeover

I've been calling this sweet little guy a mid-century style hutch.
Is it a desk? Is it a hutch? (Really, I don't care.)
Oh, let's compromise and call him Dutch.
Hello All, meet Dutch:
mid century hutch makeover, painted furniture
Would that make Phil Dutch's Uncle?
The above photo was the day after his all-night bender (Dutch's, not Phil's). Here's how he looked before, all crashed out in the bed of the truck. I think it cost me $12 to get him out of lockup. Phil was not thrilled. But he came around. :)
I refused to post bail for the old toilet rug.
Dutch sat in the basement for nigh on three years while I got down to more important business. Like improving my personal best times on my sudoku app.
Dutch finally wore me down, as most cute furniture dudes with sexy legs do. I sanded and scraped, and sanded some more. I believe the desk surface is a walnut veneer, my favorite species ever. Unless Schnauzers were a species. Then those would be my favorite.
And since I mentioned Schnauzers, here's your Eddie fix for today!
Let's take a moment and check out the corner where Dutch will be squatting. It was previously occupied by my daughter's desk that I made over for her. It has since gone back to live with her. Unfortunately, she didn't also take the cat.
Here's the messy, non-staged corner that is blogging central:
And presenting . . . Dutch!
It's hard for me to get good pictures because I have windows allowing light in on both sides, but Dutch is back in the corner not getting any. He doesn't get much light, either.
He gets plenty of glare, however.
Dutch's really nice, woody parts got stained with General Finishes Java Gel, and the rest got paint.
The light-colored back portion got three different colors of paint before I was satisfied. Actually, I'm not sure I love it yet, but if I add any more paint, there won't be room left on the shelves. I ultimately painted it the pale yellow I used in my master closet.
Did you see my owl sitting atop Dutch's noggin? That's Al the Owl. (If you're new here, I have an owlbsession.)
My sweet friend Tracy is an awesome artist and she made him for me as a housewarming gift. Thanks Tracy! She lives in Oklahoma and said his name is Al because he's made of Alcohol ink (and because that's how they pronounce "owl" in those parts). Haha!
And what about those awesome Coca-Cola bottles? My other sweet friend Andrea (yes, I have only two friends) sent them to me as a gift for my Coca-Cola pantry! (If you missed that post, you really should go check it out!)
I have the best blog friends ever!
She actually gave me four bottles, but Dutch is a dirty little thief who stole two of them so he'd look cuter in these photos. It worked.
Now I have a nice place to sit and drink.
Blog.
I definitely meant to say blog. Not drink. Oh, who am I kidding?
Let's take a last look, shall we?
Dutch is quite a treat now, don't you think?
Thanks for reading! I'd love for you to come visit me at my blog linked up below!
-andi
Delusions of ingenuity