Stars And Stripes Wine Glasses

$6

I was in a home decor store the other day and saw some fun and festive wine glasses. I instantly thought of my grandmother who loves to have various holiday themed dishware on hand. When I saw the price tag rang in at $12 a pop, I figured I could make my own version of the glasses for much less, while also adding sentimental value. All it took was a steady hand, some dollar store wine glasses and some multi-surface acrylic paint to create these firework and patriotic printed beauties.
I decided to do a stars and stripes glass and a fireworks print one as well.

These glasses will work great for any Americana celebration!
SUPPLIES: -Painter's Tape -Paintbrush -Multi Surface Acrylic Paints -Wine Glasses -*Optional- Star Stickers (Not Pictured)
STEP 1: Wash glasses Rinse and dry your wine glasses to remove any dust particles.
STEP 2: Paint fireworks For the firework print simply put your paint brush in the center of where you wish your firework to go and pull away allowing the end to taper off. Repeat in a circular pattern. Add a couple of bursts outside of the circle as well.
STEP 3: Paint a rim To place a colorful rim at the base of the glass simply rub your brush along the edge carefully.
STEP 4: Add polka dots For the polka dots just dip the wrong end of your paintbrush into your paint and dab the paint onto the glass sporadically.
STEP 5: Paint the bottoms For the stars and stripes glass I placed star stickers along the bottom of the glass and dabbed paint over them all along the bottom. *Make sure to cover the stickers entirely. Allow to dry.
STEP 6: Wrap the stem in a ribbon For the swirled stripe I took a piece of tape and wrapped it around the stem and the rest of the glass. *Be sure to leave space between the tape.
STEP 7: Paint around the ribbon Paint a stripe of red paint next to the tape. This will serve as a guideline for your other two stripes. After the red stripe has dried paint a white line next to the red line you just painted and then a red line next to the white line so that it rests in between the two red lines.
STEP 8: Cook your glasses This step is very important! It is time to cure your paint so that it doesn't wash off. Place your glasses on a baking sheet and put them in the oven. Set your oven to 350 and a timer to 30 minutes. *Do not preheat the oven. The glass must warm up with the oven so be sure to place the glasses in before turning on the stove. When the 30 minutes is up simply turn the oven off and allow the glasses to cool inside. Be sure to hand wash only!
Just looking at these glasses gets me excited for the 4th's festivities.
The great part about this project is that you can make any design of your choice!

• Wine Glasses  (Dollar Store)
  • Acrylic Paint (Multi Surface)  (Michael's)

• Nola

Did you remove the star stickers or just leave them covered up with the paint?

Thanks,
    • MSC5355096

I did not remove the star stickers before baking. They came out fine.
  • Jcourtney

Could you add a clear sealer like decoupage over the paint to help the colored paint last longer?
  • Barbara

Can this be done on plastic glasses, waiting a few days for the paint to cure without heating in the oven? Has anyone tried plastic glasses?

• Brenda Thompson

Need to do this!
  • Rik29402131

There is one warning, multi-surface acrylic is nowhere near as durable as GLOSS acrylic paint... Anything but gloss will flake and fade after only about three washings in the top rack of your dishwash while the gloss will last for over a year of regular use. (Yes, I've done glass painting for over a decade and don't waste your cash at the craft stores that "claim" to be opaque glass paint cuz it's nothing more than a re-labeled bottle of gloss. Transparent true glass paints can also be used on cool things consisting of a gold or silver base or even on a mirror for mind blowing effects. Imagine what you could do with a clear wine glass with a gold colored metal stem. Same oven baking concept also. Just make sure you don't leave any air bubbles or you'll have to touchup and rebake again later.