Carolyn B
Carolyn B
  • Bixby, OK

Tomato plants growing rapidly, but no blooms. Healthy green plants

Liliana WellsStaceyCarolyn B
+8

please help
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

sounds like too much nitrogen. Do you have any blooms at all? What type tomato is it?

• Carolyn B

Beef master plants have tripled in size. No blooms. They are in large pots

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

What type soil do you have them in? Have you fertilized them and if so, with what?

• Carolyn B

Help answer this question...miracle grow potting soil. Have not fertilized because they are looking so healthy and throwing so well

• Carolyn B

growing that is

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

hmm...I think they have too much nitrogen. It sounds like they are putting all their energy into the leafy green parts and none into the flowering fruiting parts. You can try some epsom salt and some type of bloom booster to see if you can encourage flowering.

• Carolyn B

thank you

• Stacey

Tomato plants need the temperature to drop to 56 degrees Fahrenheit or lower at night for the plant to bloom. If you plant too late in the season, the plant grows wildly in the sun, but never produces flowers or fruit. Try planting earlier by using a green house to help the plant become sufficiently mature in the early season to produce flowers and fruit. Good Luck!!

• Carolyn B

thanks Stacey. We have been having hot temps at night ever since I planted them

• Stacey

Carolyn, if you switch to cherry tomatoes in the spring, you won't have a problem. Beef steak tomatoes are more finicky about temperature. You can also wait to plant Beef steak tomato plants at the end of summer. When the plant is fully mature, the cooler fall weather comes along, and it blooms continuously until the first frost.

• Liliana Wells

Two of my neighbors told me to knock of the "suckers". They look like little growths between the stems and the branches. Also, clip off the tip of each branch. I hope these suggestions work for you.