Lulu Dubin
Lulu Dubin
  • Cedarhurst, NY

Anyone know what this is?

CherenElizabeth PMarie Perez
+76

A friend of mine posted it on Facebook asking what it is. #PlantID
q anyone know what kind of flower this is, gardening
  • Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Passion flower. We called it Maypop. The fruit is edible.

To be specific, your friend has Passiflora caerulea, or the blue passion flower.

• Paul M

This is a passion flower of some sort, but it looks like an Asian or South American variety. It is definitely not the "May pop" variety. The Purple Passion flower or May pop as it is called looks similar but there is no black in the center at all. I recently posted a pic of them if you want to see the difference. Most passion fruits are edible but there are one or two varieties that are poisonous, I don't know which ones are which once you get outside the native North American variety, or May pop. I have been growing them for years and the fruit is wonderful. The Asian passion fruit, sometimes available in the store, it very pungent and strong, not sweet at all, unlike the May pop, so I really don't like the other ones I have tried. The native ones are the best in the world IMO. They grow them in Mexico and sell them in the market there so I know they like them too.

• Kitty W

Passiflora (passion flower)

• Sheila W

Passion flower

• Walter Reeves

Note that maypop is Passiflora incarnata. Douglas correctly identifies this as Passiflora caerulea, or blue passion flower. In my Georgia garden this vine is evergreen (or semi-evergreen after a severe winter). Great food for Gulf fritillary butterfly caterpillars!

• Kathleen F

Also called Passion vine

• Rebecca D

My MoM had them growing in her yard. Very pretty

• Debi M

ok, now that we know what it is, can I get some more info? Is it a bulb, a vine, a seed? Will it grow in NC? I love the unusual look that it has, so I would like to find a spot in my yard for one.

• Kelly S

will they grow in the Pacific Northwest? We get a lot of rain but not so much sun.

• Phyllis R

Yes ma'am..... Down South here we call em 'May Pops'. Some Folks call them Passion Flowers. I don't know the Botanical name. But Daddy showed me how to make a Little Girl Carrying Butter out of them when I was a little kid. Thanks for sharing..... I haven't seen any around here in years.

• Jennifer N

Passion flowers I have them growing in my yard.

• 'Jamie T

all I know is I want one or two or five.

• Beth H

These are Passion Flowers and they are a vine. In NC you will need to keep them in a pot and bring them in for the winter. They will sometimes produce a fruit with seeds inside. I have had some luck drying out the seeds and getting them to grow. Good luck!

• Kitty W

Easy to grow, easy to start from seed and grows like a weed once the heat and humidty start. By end of June ours start to climb and cover part of the roof. We have six Maypop 'Passiflora incarnata; all started from seed. Be sure it's a cold hardy variety unless you're in zone 9 or higher. Saw a few growing in pots a few years back in South Carolina.

• Shirley B

I had one last year but the drought in Texas got to it. It is a Passion flower or vine. I got one because my grandmother used to have them and I remember them explaining what each thing meant. It was something about the 12 petals represent the 12 Apostles and the pestals (?) represent the crown of thorns or something like that. There is a little explanation about them that she gave me in a clipping I'll have to find. It represents the Crucifiction of Jesus hence the name Passion flower. I will send the info from the clipping when I find it. Also, I ordered mine from I think Michigan bulb. They have never let me down on their flowers. But it is not a bulb, it is a small cutting. They are annuals although here in Houston they tend to come back because we don't really have a winter here. I hope you get one. They are very beautiful flowers.

• Cori H

I had one outside my bedroom window when I lived in California. (If memory serves me right, it was this one too). It's gorgeous when it blooms. Never did try the fruit from it though. The birds usually got to it first!

• Darrlyn B

Passion Flowers

• Kathleen W

I have purple{which grows wild here & a beautifull cremson red one my dau. gave me for mom's day this year. I'min N.c. fLORIDA.

• Barbi S

central fl here maypop are we call them and the grow wild, i would love to get some for my patio

• Debra W

WHERE CAN I GET 1

• Donna M

I live approx 70 mi. west of Indianapolis & mine survive.... Comes back every spring & has spread from one small little piece to a beauty. The lady who gave it to me called it "passion vine".........

• Christal G

I have never seen blue passion flowers wow the design on them is awesome GOD and Mother Nature really outdid themselves and thank you for showing me the butterfly thats the kind that was flitting around my yard , do you know what kind it is??

• Christy M

I love passion flowers but can't find any at local greenhouses or big box retailers. I don't want to order one online. Does anyone out there know of an Alpharetta/Milton/Roswell garden center with passion flowers?

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

When I'm running, I sometimes see them on the side of the road in woody areas Christy.

• Lulu Dubin

Thanks everyone!

• Decorating Den Interiors

Amazing!

• Christy M

Pace- where? I'd go running if I could find a passion flower! lol

• Elizabeth P

It's best not to get a wild one normally. They will take over an area and kill out other plants.

• Tina M

the passion flower is a vine. drops seeds every where & invades like a weed. google passion flower/vine/plant & check out the many varieties.

• Bee S

It looks alot like a flower called a Maypop or Passion flower. There are a lot of varieties , but this looks very similar to one my grandmother had in her yard years ago. .

• Bee S

Yu can "Google" the word Maypop and several sites come up that have pictures of different varieties. I saw some that looked similiar, but not exacly like this. One site said there are over 400 varieties of Maypops.

@Bee: The plant Lulu has is Passiflora caerulea, or the blue passion flower.

• Karen F

beautiful flowers Does anyone know if they grow well in Connecticut? thanks

• Chris T

Several of the bigger perennial companies should have them available to order from their catalogs. Try Spring Hill Nursery or try Burpee Seed. You can also google Passion Flower and see what else you can find that way too. Hope this helps!

@Karen: I doubt you could grow that one but, depending on where in Connecticut you are, you might be able to grow a hardier cousin, Passiflora incarnata.

• Sandra R

I just spotted one across from my house. What a coincidence as I had no idea what it was. Thank you!

• Robin J

passion flower, my favorite. Easy to grow in Flordia, here in Oregon I have them in big planters to take indoors for the winter.

• Cynthia Bonner

passion ivy...

• Debbie Sheegog

Mine did not survive a bad winter two yrs. ago, but I am going to try again at our farm when we are there more. It turns into a rampant weed-like thing, my expert garden friend said, but I LOVE it and it attracts all kinds of butterflies and bees!

• Mary

Passion Vine. Very invasive. I have solid purple in front and white with purple center in back. Mine smell like grapes. Love them.

• DeMarie I

Passion flower. I'm so envious of those who can grow them as a perennial. Here in Neb. the winters are too harsh and can only be grown as an annual (unless you have a fabulous greenhouse).

• Lisa Redmond

Passion flower--it tells the story of Christ's passion, the three stamen is the Trinity, the star is the Star of Bethlehem, and the circles represent God's eternity--if I remembered correctly. I hope my vine comes back this year.

• Laurie Kreger

"There has fallen a splendid tear From the passion-flower at the gate. She is coming, my dove, my dear; She is coming, my life, my fate." --Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 1809-1892

• Dominique Volschenk

passion fruit, although i have never seen it in those colors before

• Barb in Texas

That is such a unique color for those flowers, let me know if you ever collect seeds, I'd love to pay postage for some.

• Tam Castro

they always have sprouts that come up every where,,, just repot them... mine are purple

• Alana Brown Casey

Passionflower. Complicated explanation of name. It is Maypop variety and the orange fruits/pods that appear are tasty and tropical. They can be squeezed over ice cream, cake, pancakes, used to make pudding and more. Just make sure you don't spray them with anything you wouldn't want to eat! Enjoy them and dug them up and give to enemies!! Lol!!! 😜

• Jan Galiber

Passion Flower vine. Grows year round in New Orleans and can be very aggressive but I love it and wish I could grow it where I live now.

• Vjt1355579

Passion vine.

• LindaK

Passion flower, I've never seen it blue, but often in magenta here in California.

• Beth Cason-Sexton

My passion vines here in Ohio were also in the magenta color. Is this blue the true color or just the camera it was taken with?? Love the blue &yest it is quite aggressive. My neighbor ended up with vines from my plant in her backyard. Mine was on a fence in the front yard that had been gone for about 3 yrs. when hers grew.

• Howard

Those are Maypop

• Ada

THIS IS PASSION VINES. AGGRESSIVE PLANT. BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS AND GOOD FRUITS. HAVE ABOUT FOUR DIFFERENTS NAMES.

• ObiaMan

May, dats Passion Flower. Dey make a tasty fruit too, called Passion Fruit. Dey used to grow wild along a fence up in Arkansas. I finely planted me one a few years back and it is huge. It cover the whole side of my carport and hang all over the place, but it hasn't fruited yet. No flowers either. Maybe dey take some time. Same wit my kiwi. 16' vines but no flowers yet. Maybe dis year.

• Krissieboo

This is a passion flower.can climb so needs support

• Michele Psiuk Becoye

ceci est une passiflore , fleur de la passion ,

• Ctr2663133

A beautiful passion flower vine. Mine is very prolific!

• Fre3250078

Yes, Passion flower vine. It goes fast once it is established. But just trim back EVERY YEAR, and it's fine. If you leave it on a fence, and don't trim, your going to have a problem. The story of the naming ( passion of Christ) is beautiful. I love the vine.....but you will make sure you don't ignore it.

• Fre3250078

Michelle, I have not heard of that flower/ vine before. Which means.....I do not know. Sorry!

• Sta6598655

The name of this flower is clock!!!!!

• Kathy Ellen Smith

It's a passion vine they are beautifull

• She2309002

We called them " may pops". , they grow wild and when we were little we would eat the "pop" which was a green seed pod. They were awesome. Beautiful flower, awesome name and meaning as Freda said.

• She2309002

I just saw your comment Michelle, yea same as may pop.

• Howard

well down south we called them May Pops, they grow wild , and the fruit is not to bad to eat if you are real hungry!!!

• Bel7972751

Passion flower

, I love the look of this passion flower so much detail
  • Lis7105219

Yes indeed its passion flower, they have many different flower colours (purple, red, blue, etc). Mine is blue and they produce many of passion fruit also, they taste sour but you can mix them with many things (packed with many antioxidant as a bonus) and smells soooo good 😊

• Sfr8274594

In Florida we call them passion flower.

• Mona

Passion flower

• Tre1482398

Here in Louisiana, we call them Passion Flowers. You will occasionally see them in different colors, but the white is the most common. Warning to all gardeners out there. I planted a piece or two in the ground after rooting in water and they took off. They bloom like crazy, but they are almost like bamboo, very invasive. I would find pieces wrapped around bushes 10 feet from the original planting spot. I eventually got so tired of pulling it out from where I didn't want it growing that I ended up pulling all of it out and gave up. Sticking to planting it in a pot with a trellis would probably be a better idea. Good luck if you take this one on, but it does make quite a conversation piece, very unusual.

• Raven Wells

It is a passion flower

• Marsha DeVaughn

Maypops!

• Linda Lockhart

Called passion flower. Much like morning glory and clematis. Comes deep purple too. Very pretty. Must be kept in check or will take over its surroundings.

• Frances

I think they're called passion flower. My daughter has one. They are a cone plant and they are a perennial.

• Southwind

Passion fruit flower. They say that when the Roman soldier pierced Jesus , a drop of blood fell on the passion flower growing on the floor beside the cross. That is why the passion flower color is that color reddish... I was told this saga in my country, Angola... Our passion fruits come in 3 shapes, small round like a pingpong ball, dark brown blueish, like a cucumber in yellow hard skinned like the small ones and bigger in the shape of an American football in light yellow. We call them Maracujá and they say that old man should it them because they work like Viagra... I have seem some old Turists feasting onit when were told that... idiots... The plant grows like a vine and is used to cover trelis and pergolas. The fruit hangs from them.

• Marie Perez

Passion Plant

• Elizabeth P

We call it the flower of the passion flower. Each part of the plant has a religious meaning for a lot of people. I don't know what they are, but a lot of older gardeners can tell you. Each color or part has a significance.

• Cheren

Passion flower