Tracy Schmiesing McVety
Tracy Schmiesing McVety
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Maplewood, OH

Old Crib to Old Glory

$35.00

While cleaning out an old shed to give our chickens more room, we came across this old set of crib springs. I told my husband to just put it with the rest of his scrap metal, to get rid of it. But, the next day I was struck with inspiration... and, luckily that scrap pile was still there, as it has been for the past 5 years, and probably will be for the next 5 years...
old crib to old glory, crafts, patriotic decor ideas, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
Old rusty crib springs - Ready for something... First, I started with this awesome blue burlap ribbon, printed with stars!! How perfect is that! It was 5.5 inches wide, which wouldn't work for this project, so after cutting to length, I just cut it in half down the middle.
I used hot glue for this project, but didn't glue anything until all the weaving was complete. Next I started on the stripes. Each of these burlap ribbon rolls measured 2.5 inches wide, and that worked perfectly. They were, however, a little thin, for my taste, so I doubled them back to give two layers for each stripe.
Everything is in place, time for glue!
The final project! I haven't yet decided where to display this, but it's so big, I'm sure it will end up outside somewhere... I need to spray it with a waterproof protector, and we're ready to go! I am so happy with how this turned out!
Visit my blog, to find out where to buy the supplies for this project.
https://www.makinglifefromlemons.com/old-crib-to-old-glory/

• Off-White Burlap Ribbon  (Amazon)
  • Red Burlap Ribbon  (Amazon)
  • Navy Blue and Star Burlap Ribbon  (Amazon)
Tracy Schmiesing McVety

• Jackie

how many rolls of each ribbon would I need to order?

• Tracy Schmiesing McVety

The blue roll I bought was 10 feet, and the other two rolls were 10 yards each. I doubt if I used half of each roll, so I would definitely have enough to do another, if I had another set of springs.

• Erin

where did you purchase the burlap ribbon?

• Ann

I absolutely love this! I have been trying to decide on a large flag to hang on. The front of our house. Now I know what I'm looking for.

• Joanne

OK!! This is an idea I'm stealing...I have enough time to find the springs, the burlap and put it all together. My neighbors will flip!! Thank you!!

• Joanie

ANYTHING about OUR flag is a blessing. I stand and wave my flag everyday. God Bless America and God Bless you.!!