Help me with this awkward space

Wanda sinnemaJim LJulie Benson-Grant
+94

I recently redid a small bedroom in my house to be a dressing room. In the room is this awkward box thing in the corner. It actually covers up the slanted wall that goes over the stairs going down to the main level of the house... so if you removed this box there would be a funny slanted wall on the floor! Anyway, I don't really know what to do with the space. Someone suggested making it into a seat to put on shoes and stuff but I don't really need that as I have an ottoman in the center of the room that I use for that. Does anyone have any other suggestions? It can be suggestions for just how to decorate it or some other purpose it could serve.
awkward "box" covering slanted stair wall
I painted the top white to make it look more like a piece of furniture instead of a weird raised up floor space!
  • Tanya Peterson Felsheim

I think I might add corner shelves (in white) up the wall and use it to display some decorative items.

• Rosalie M

Of course...what house doesn't need more storage area. Perfect for a linen closet, or storage for extra pillows and blankets. so, use Becky's idea, build the closet like above. It's not like it will be wasted space, Doesn't take long to fill a closet.

• Cynthia

I would make it display shelf. Would add some architectural interest to the room.

• Reinventing Space

Get a sassy mannequin, and have it as a display area.

help me with this awkward space, bedroom ideas, home decor, Mannequin for dressing room
  • OOOOOOhhhhhh, great ideas you guys! I'm really liking the extra storage idea but I'd have to get help with that, it's just me and I'm handy but not THAT handy! :o)

• Kimberly Barney

You could always add storage by placing open shelving if you used baskets. It would give you an opportunity to add texture and/or color to the dressing room as well. However, I like the use of the sassy mannequin. Nothing says "girly girl" more to me than that.

• I love Becky's idea for the extra closet however that might be awhile before I can do that so in the meantime I like Kimberly's idea of the open shelving with baskets! I have a dress form/mannequin in the room but she's on the other side of the room! :o)

• C&K Custom Remodeling

you could always do a lower and narrower window bench with flip up storage, then use the existing box as an end table. You could also have the top of the box flip up for storage if you want. This would add depth and purpose to the existing out of place box.

• Donna Lamothe

You could always make it in to a nice cozy reading nook,you have the window right beside it. A bunch of pillows or fake fur to snuggle with. I quiet place to escape for a bit.

• Leslie D

It's a bit deep for a bench, but I would put a cushion on the bottom and back and then fill it with decorative pillows until it appears to be the correct depth. Quick and easy solution until you decide to tackle something more permanent.

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

@Littlevintagecottage Tania if you decide to do the shelves idea...there are some pretty simple ways already set up for you to do..if you have a homedepot they even sometimes have classes to show you how to do things. There are also Closet Storage systems that you could possibly use a small portion of that is set up for you to use easily! Good luck!

• Kris Lee

This is a great little area. I love quirky areas. A cozy reading space is great. Another dust catching display area.....not so much, but storage, yes please!!

• Z

Tania, it's not really that difficult of a project. The hardest part is having the right tools to cut the wood and drywall. Do have any handy young men in your family that would help out for a home cooked meal and some beer? LOL

• Geri Irwin

cushions on top for a bench? Shoe racks, shelves for clothing items, etc on the one end.

• Pam Payne

Add a couple of cushions for place to sit and put on shoes or change your bag.

• Louise Cohoon

Why not add a light fixture to the wall. Then add a nice fat pillow to make a reading space. I love to read and would love to have a special place to curl up and read.

• Mary Hare

I think I would put shelves up..Use it a book case at least the bottom shelve. Then Put a dressing table or desk in front of it and use it a chair..

• Mary Kay McDonnell

Isn't it a window seat so you can sit and look out the window. :D I' put pillows on it and make it a special place. :D

• Sme194533

You said this was going to be a dressing room, so I would make a big fat comfortable cushion and place it on top and have a place to sit down while I dressed, put shoes on or whatever.

• Debbie

hinge the lid and use the weird slanted space underneath for secret storage :)

• Carol King-ricca

I would make a round lazy susan type of selves that or stacked up tall. A great storage for shoes or purses. You just turn it to get your items.

• Sally Marven

I would see if the lid could come off then put piano hinges on it and use it for a storage container for projects or other things like maybe extra towels or linens

• Annette Blocker

It would make a great focal point with shelves for storing hats, shoes, purses and with hooks for hanging scarves, hats & jewelry...maybe a little fashion art, perhaps a photograph or drawing of a vintage dress design or a models face or a nude female

• Chu194538

I would build some slanting shelves to put my shoes on. Would get them up off the floor & store them out of the way. You could sit on the box to put them on or take them off. The shelves would add attraction & organization to an otherwise unusable corner.

• Donna Kutlus

Put a small hanging lamp there and a small book shelf with cushions to make a reading nook. :-)

• Sandy D

How about a turn table with several shelves for shoes, bags, etc., like a lazy-susan in a corner cabinet in a kitchen.

• Michael S

Cut the top, put a hinge on it, turn it into extra storage.

• Robin Taylor

Like Donna, I would also add cushions, or down quilt over the top, add some sheers or mosquito netting, pretty chandelier & make it a nice cozy nook.

• Sondra A

Some more thoughts: Put mirrors up on the walls. Perhaps a large vase on the "bench". Put white lattice, white pegboard, or something decorative that you could hang decorations, hats, jewelry, shelving on. Put a hanging plant in that corner. Stencil a cool design on the base of the "bench" (around the border of the base). I also like the idea of cushions on it for just a rest spot near the window.

• Mary W

Put mirrors on the wall and a set in front of it. Make it your stage to try on clothes, or put on a fashion show so someone can tell you what they think! Or if you don't have any place in there to sit and put your shoes on, you could put a cushion on it and make it a seat.

• Rosemary Green

Extend it and make it into a window seat.☺

• Stephanie S

Add a bookshelf on top... make it a built in. That is what I would do.

• Cindy-Kevin Lomax

I would put a mirror on both walls; maybe some crown mold at the top of the mirrors. Add a removal cushion for sitting or standing on box. Maybe add a track light or eyeball light to focus on the mirrors. Since it is a dressing room, one could put their shoes sitting on bench or look at the shoes and/or slacks.

• Roseann Giacalone Voulo

I would put large pillow again the wall and make it into a bench seat that would look awesome!

• Nancy Bowman

I would fill that whole corner above the box with mirrors (maybe white framed ones) so you can see yourself from both angles when dressing...maybe color coordinate some silk flowers and put them on the box in the corner add a couple what-nots...etc.. jewelry box? or necklace holder? a hand mirror for a back view? As you use the room you'll figure out whats missing/needed.

• Tamara

I have the exact same thing in my family room, however, mine is for the basement door. I'm not sure why the genius who put in the basement door did this, frankly, I'd have had the door open OUT or put it elsewhere, but, it is what it is. I have pondered what to do with mine and here is my plan... because mine is in my small family room, I am going to have a carpenter "build" a closet/cabinet above it. It will have three spaces. Top shelf for storage, middle will hold the television set and the bottom is going to contain a dumbwaiter to my basement. I have lots of dishes, cookware and entertaining accessories which I don't want to store upstairs as they take up so much room. However, I also don't want to schlep everything up and down every time I host guests in my home. So, I am having a dumbwaiter installed with a pulley system. I'm thinking of having it go all the way up to my bedroom, which would make laundry day far more simple as well. It will have doors which close because I can't stand a television set being the focal point of a room. When not being watched I don't even want to see it. The bottom of the bump in, as I don't know what else to call it, is covered with beadboard, which I had installed when I renovated my home. So, back to your "awkward space". I would have a carpenter build a closet or built in armoire above it. Now, depending upon the dimensions of the space you might be able to find a ready made piece which will fit and you can customize it. Another option might be to install shelving in a "V" shape, 12" deep against the walls and then hang beautiful curtains covering the shelving. Ikea and Rubbermaid have reasonably priced shelving which is easy to install and the curtains could be hung from a decorative set of rods. You could do a grid system on one wall and shelves on the other. A hundred possibilities. You could also put up white or wooden shelves which are more decorative in nature and keep your perfume, jewelry, pretty objects d'art, a calendar, etc. there. Good luck and please, do let us know what you do!

• Kim Hurles Pickard

Since this is in a dressing room I would put a shoe rack on it or other kind of storage that is more convenient when raised, so you don't have to bend over so far to choose whatever is on the bottom of the rack or shelf. Maybe small plastic drawers for scarves or jewelry. Making the top a lid does give you more storage but could waste the space above it, unless you hung shelves on the walls, above where the lid would raise. You could put a cushion there for a friend to sit while you try on outfits for their opinion but you may not need that with your ottoman.

• Denise

Invest in a mannequin and let that be her pedestal ... for jewelry, scarves, etc. It's your new dressing room .. let her help you dress!

• Sue Long

I would extend the box to the other side of the window . I would either make it storage with a hinge or put a rack for shoes below . I would put a comfy pillow top to make a window seat, reading spot with wall sconces for needed lights.

• Shirl Cr

great ideas I have the exact same problem in my basement but it holds my shut off to the main water for the house

• Alma Williams

I have just such a box in an upstairs room in my house. I bought a pretty silk tree that reaches to the ceiling for the spot and it livens the room a lot. You have enough light in the room you could probably use a live plant.

• Wanda Brethorst

I would hinge it and put my favorite out of season boots, shoes. purses etc in there..then I would put up white open shelving on both sides for most frequently used items leaving enough space for a narrow cushion to sit while dressing :)

• MandaV

Manda Vardy Ok I think you should buy 3 6 ft tall white shelves from IKEA. 2 standard 1 foot by 1 foot by 6 foot. and 1 1 foot by 1 foot (Corner) by 6 foot. it will fill in the back left to middle and right to middle from top of box to white trim under ceiling. use it to store shoes and purses etc.Like · Reply · 1 · 10 minutes ago This was my response on Facebook but had to come here to add a picture of some of IKEAS shelves... you can buy one square or 100 and make them anyway you want above the box, stack them, make them diagonal etc get creative,

help me with this awkward space, bedroom ideas, home decorhelp me with this awkward space, bedroom ideas, home decorhelp me with this awkward space, bedroom ideas, home decorhelp me with this awkward space, bedroom ideas, home decorhelp me with this awkward space, bedroom ideas, home decor
  • Hampton Mosaics

Since I am a mosaic artist, I can envision a mosaic bordered mirror on one side to open up the space with shelving on the other side.

• Gail Salminen

@Littlevintagecottage Tania you could use this as an area to store your accessories such as necklaces, scarves, belts etc. There are also some interesting pieces on here for storing earings.Add some small shelves and hooks on the wall and voila, easily accessable items to compliment your outfit. This can be done quite inexpensively as well. Please share how you transform the area and thanks for posting.

• Avarycce Mizzrym

it would be perfect for a reading nook, that's what I would turn it into. Hanging lamp and a big cushion to sit on and some little cushions to lean against.

• Libby Bean

I would make a closet out of it. It's in a corner and you can never have enough closet space.

• Libby Bean

Also you can put shelves in and make it for extra storage for blankets, out of season clothes or what ever you need it for.

• Shawn Dunham

If this was for a kid, you could a small stage are for things like puppet shows.

• Wow, these are all such wonderful ideas! I had already thought of the cushy seat area but I really don't need a place to "escape" to because I'm an empty nester so no one else is in the house with me... the whole house is my place to escape! LOL! I really love the closet ideas but won't be able to do that right away so I'm leaning toward the open shelving ideas. I have a dress form in the room already in another corner and I have lots of unique shoe storage already (although a girl can never have too many shoes right?!) I'm loving reading all the awesome ideas though! Tania

• Brenda D

add a pillow top

• Andrea S

Extend it upward with a built in shelving unit and use it to store out of season items or bedding. Put doors on it that match the clothes organizer on the other side of the room.

• Kat =^.^=

hi well i havent read all the comments but here are my ideas lol if you can find a top of a hutch or china cabinet that size, glass doors and shelves, you could store purses or shoes or shirts or jewely or perfume (fancy bottles) inside, they usually also have a light up top! (paint it out to match ) another idea would be to get the inexpensive "shoe" holders (out of wood) configure and stack them against the wall for storage for shoes purses etc. good luck, i hope you post your finished room, dying to see the rest of it! i am so jealous a whole room as a vintage chic dressing WITH an ottoman! WOW lucky u!!!!!!!!! last idea make shelves the same size as the bottom use iron for the sides and paint it out, put hat boxes on them or linens im so excited for you what a great room it will be!

• Valerie Laster

place a nice pillow on top for seating; floating shelves for knick knacks or books; a nice sized mirror with a standing lamp...you can use for a reading or prayer knook

• Bonnie B

Hey there! I am amazed at all the suggestions for shoes! Pew! (Hee, hee) I could personally see enclosing the area with glass walls/windows and a nice light up top, like a spotlight. Make sure there's a glass door with a hinge and lock. Then save space in the "main" floor and set the dress form in there with a favorite dress, perhaps a vintage find or even a family member's. You could make it a family showcase and hang photos of the person wearing that dress if you have them available. Recycle vintage windows to add to the flair of the showcase....

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I like the bookshelf (built-in) and window seat ideas.

• Rebecca E

pad the bench, put a rod across that way your clothes are hanging not thrown on the bench

• Carol S

Hmm - Assorted plants is one way to use that corner. A large lamp, jewelry box, fancy basket filled with your favorite accessories, large mirror on the back wall & a shelf with hooks or dowls to hang things, like your favorite hats, belts or purses on the outside wall. Or---- If you have an eletrical outlet close by it looks like a great place for a TV & a Stereo.

• Marci N

If you added a padded seat it might make a little area to sit and read?

• Susan B

It would be a shame to waste all that vertical space, so I am thinking a revolving rack of some sort for belts or scarves? Something metal with a little sheen. If possible swag a lamp over it. It appears to be about 2 ft high so you would need to consider "reach" with whatever you put there. Your colors are richly wonderful! Good luck!

• Rose S

i would at least put a mirror on the back wall. Then light from the window will be reflected. I like light, and lots of it.

• Calien Laure

It looks large enough to put a two or three sided mirror on, also, as you would see in a dressing room. I don't know what your shoe storage space is like, but it seems you can also build one of the lazy susan shoe caddies that I've seen floating around. Maybe keep larger shelves towards the top for your boots. You definitely have some great ideas from everyone, though!

• Gwen Gallagher

You can also put some shelves above it and use that area to store shoes, purses, sweaters......etc. Please let us know how you end up using it. Sometimes what seems to be a odd piece can make a beautiful accent!

• Melissa white

I would get a nice comfy cushion for the seat and fill it up with pillows ... a window seat put a good book there a cute lamp on a small table next to it you have a lot of light from the window. if the space is smaller then it appears and you cant sit on it.. then mb add a cute lamp put some plants on it the would love the window... a scentsy warmer to add a nice scent to the room make it homey.if it opens then go with the pillows easier to take off.. if it does open its a great space to store seasonal clothes then make it fancy when you arent opening it. make it cozy and a fun place that greets you when you walk into the room.. one that says this is so cute you just have to say it when you walk in. i like the colors the drape seems a tad awkward mb a blind in the window or a pretty shade and a pretty shorter curtain or valance.

• Patricia Miller-Darrow

I would have shelves on both walls, mitered to meet in the corner, for books and plants, and knick knacks. Hang a vintage ceiling lamp, maybe from a chain, for "the look", a neat small round rug, with a larger plant on short stand so as not to obstruct the view of this neat opportunity! I like it!

• Susan Cryor

had the Back sides to the stairs exposed, not boxed in...in our 1839 home in Maine. I loved those natural shelves! I used them for all kinds of things, bookshelves, collectables, holiday decorations it was a real conversation corner! Later when the grandchildren came along, those became stairs for them to get up on the loft bed grandpa put in, and a cave under to play! So many ideas....so little money...such is life! Our homes change with our lives!

• Katie Boekhoff

Since you didn't say if you had a mirror already in this room. I read where a mirror has already been mentioned but my idea is slightly different. I would hinge 3 full length mirrors together to make a classic dressing feel. OR-- hang a rod across from side to side for hanging more long garments.

• Norma Jean

You could use it like a table top, with a lamp, books, photos in pretty frames, a plant, etc. I would defintiely consider shelves on the walls (at least on one side, anyway).

• Debbie Moore

Have built in bookshelves on the door side. Bolster and toss pillows on the right side for a small place to read.

• Rosemary Green

Add on to it and make a window seat.

• Neocrowe

Since it is a dressing room, a built in would be good use of the space, a few slide out drawers or shelves would be good since it would be rather deep easier to see what you have inside them as well. Would be perfect for those delicate items, or items you cannot otherwise hang or want exposed to too much sunlight.

• Tegma

How about putting the dress form on top of it, like a display? You could decorate the dress form with an outfit, jewelry etc. like a store mannequin, almost. Actually, now that's it's painted, I think it's looks so much better. If you decide to put in shelving, I'd put shelves on both side walls, or use corner shelves. Don't think it would work as a reading area in a dressing room, tho' it would certainly look nice. Wish I had the room.... wouldn't even mind the box at all! LOL

• White Oak Studio Designs

Looks like a window seat to me. Add a soft pad and some cushions. Great storage space!

• Sandra G

Hey Hey - wow that can really be a cutey area - I had a spot like that in my last house - and I went to Thrift Store - found some of the old 70's-80's stick on mirror tile - the ones that had the black lines squiggly - - put them on wall and voila - it made room bigger - and took me back to those fun days - - - - you got lots of ones to choose from don'tcha....

• Cathy A

make it the jewelry corner. Make/get a small set of steps under the window, put glass shelves on walls and lay out all your jewelry. Put the dress form up on the stand and put all your necklaces, or brooches or purses, etc on it. You have a great corner for interest . .

• Steve

have a custom aquarium built and if that is too much, have a terrarium. Filling the corner with plants or fish would add an element of color and life to the corner. Heck if your really brave, a terrariium with a large colorful snake would be cool. Not in my house, but hey?!

• Steve

I should also ask, what is under the box ?

• I'm guessing they built the box thinking it would be more usable space than a slanted wall but I really don't know for sure Steve! And NO snakes for me... but the terrarium and fish tank are interesting ideas! :o)

• Gwen

it sounds like there is a slant from stairs under the box. Our builder put a door even though area was not a full space. You'd be amazed how much fit in that space! We then continued that across to make a window seat but it had two drawers and then a matching cupboard to the slant at the end. So now it looks purposeful and its useful for toys in the drawers, and games in the full cupboard and extra blankets in the small original one. Bookcases you put together (Target, Kmart, Walmart) come in white. You can or don't have to add molding but be sure to anchor them to wall. Now you have a reading nook, display and book storage and a simple breezy sheer cotton curtain makes it all flow. Good luck!! It's even possible to use cabinets on their sides prefab to save $ on custom to make the cabinets work. But it gives you ideas!!!

• Colleen

I like neoc's idea of putting a built in with pull out drawers(Maybe 2 or 3). Finish it with trim to match the rest of the room. Because it's an unusual space, try to make it look like its part of the room and not an after thought. Besides no matter where one can always use more storage.

• Thanks everyone who took the time to think, ponder, and answer my question with your thoughts and ideas! I think I know what I'm going to do. I'll post pics when I'm done.

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

Now that is exciting to see what you end up with!

• Tuc196505

Seat cushion with pillows for a little reading nook! Mount a light on the wall, maybe some small shelves or artwork or both!

• Patricia Miller-Darrow

put your bed there and build another one on other side for side table

• Ginny Sargent

I think since it is someplace to sit.. I would make a large pad for the bottom and throw all kinds of colors, size and pattern pillows against the walls. I am not sure why the box is there..but if it something you do have to get into, this would work well.

• Bonnie Lewenza

Is this a cover access to your homes plumbing? I would use the area for some plants or an unusual terrarium, you can get them to fit in corners and bowed.

• White Oak Studio Designs

Could also be used for additional storage of extra pillows, blankets/linens, toys, magazines/books/candles or even cleaning supplies/small sweeper for that side/floor of the house. My old 1940's ranch has no storage...would love to have that little box!

• Margaret DeYoung

Looks like a great place for a full length mirror to be set in the corner, with hooks and such hung on the side walls for bags, scarves and jewelry. If you find one of the mirrors on a pedestal you can tilt it top out just enough to see yourself from head to toe just before you walk out the door all set for work, dinner out or a date!

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

I like the white paint! Maybe put a few large cushion on the bottom and a few pillows along the back and make a reading nook...

• Angie Ruiz

me gusta yo me inclinaria a montar 2 grandes espejos forrando esquina y asiento con cojin a medida.... Ayudar a responder esta pregunta ...

• Littlevintagecottage Tania

UPDATE!! I know it took me forever but I finally finished my dressing room that I asked you all for help on... remember the awkward big box in the corner of the room? You can see the whole room reveal here: http://littlevintagecottage.blogspot.com/2013/12/whole-house-redo-my-dressing-room.html

help me with this awkward space, bedroom ideas, home decor
  • White Oak Studio Designs

Love the colors of the rug! Next maybe we will see a cushion on the top of the box?

• Julie Benson-Grant

I don't know what you decided, but here's what I would do. Since you made this to be a dressing room, I see a wonderful wall of shoe storage leaving just enough room on the 'bench' to be able to sit and put on your shoes! Looking forward to seeing your finished work!

• Jim L

Since this is a "dressing room/closet", why not install shelves on the larger wall for shoes and on the other one, install hooks for belts, purses and other things...I do admire what you have done. 'Wish that I could have been there to help organize and plan the use of your space. Get rid if the closet door. (You don't need it since this is your dressing room!) Install shelves where the shoe "cubbies" are not and stack sweaters and "tees" for easier access. (I am a BIG organizer!)

• Wanda sinnema

great job,,,, looks wonderful....just a thought since the box is there,,,,, how about removing the top....adding hingesalong the side by the window for exxtra storage.. Great spot for extra pillows or seldom used stuff..I'm thinking heavy winter bulky items