Melissa Woods
Melissa Woods
  • Saint Joseph, MN

Pallet Wood Wall Clock

I was inspired to create a large wood wall clock for my friend's wedding this past weekend! I got started by ripping apart a wood pallet.
pallet wood wall clock, pallet, wall decor, woodworking projects
I used the thin slats to create the design, cutting each into long triangles.
I laid my triangle slats down and spaced them in a circle, leaving enough space in the middle for the clock mechanism.
Then I cut circles out of a thin sheet of wood composite that used to be the backing on a dresser.
I cut a smaller circle that I screwed into each slat as a backing to make the clock strong. I glued each slat down to a larger circle cut in a donut shape for the front of the clock.
I flipped it over and painted the whole thing white with a DIY chalk paint recipe. I also cut a circle hole out of the middle for the clock mechanism to rest in.
I used a black paint pen to write on the numbers. Then I distressed the whole thing with an electric sander and went over the sanded parts with a dark wood stain to give it more dimension.
For the clock mechanism, I took the piece out of an existing clock and made longer hands by hot gluing black card-stock on the existing hands. The white wood circle that the mechanism's bolt went through was from the hole I cut in the center of the clock.
This is the finished result!
You can really see that the distressing brought the complicated design to life, adding emphasis to the different layers of wood!
I was really pleased with how it turned out, I wanted to keep it for my own home!
It would have gone perfectly with the white washed family values sign I made last year! Oh well, I hope my newly wedded friends love it and find a nice place for it in their home.
Thanks for reading! Click to see more projects I've made with pallets.
Melissa Woods

• Rose

What a clever re-use of the wood pallet. Love it!

• Vicki

That is so clever! Also as I viewed each stage, my mind began to see all kinds of different art.. thank you..it's a piece that inspired.