Cathy B
Cathy B
  • Gainesville, GA

Replacing glass in my front door

Alexis Adair HarderMeemooEsther Oakley
+3

I need to replace the glass in my front door. This seems like the perfect solution, but the specs say you can use in a fiberglass or metal door. Not for use in a wood door. Can anyone explain to me why it won't work in wood? (I emailed the manufacturer, but did not get a response.)http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductImagesView?D=950642&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051
ODL Kingston Medium Oval Nickel Caming with HPFrame
  • Cathy B

thanks, but I should probably be more specific. My front door is solid wood and had an oval glass insert. ODL makes an oval glass insert that is the correct size, but the specs on the insert say "for use in a fiberglass or metal door, but not in wood". The insert seems like it would be the perfect solution for replacing the glass, I just don't quite understand why it is not suitable for a wood door. Anybody have any ideas?

• William Pickens

Hello Cathy, I am in a similar situation. I need to replace a glass oval in my wooden front door. Can you let me know what you were able to find? Thank You!!

• Esther Oakley

I needed to replace my whole door system pretty recently and had the same question. In the end we just decided to replace the whole system; door, door frame, entryway, and all. If you can't find what you are looking for I suggest looking into hiring a professional. Ask family and friends for recommendations first. http://www.comfortking.ca/doors.html

• Meemoo

Same issue in previous home. The door/window folks at Home Depot ere helpful with finding the correct insert for me. Friend installed and it was fine in the wood door. Talk to the experts at any window/door place. Wood expands and contracts with heat, cold, humidity...that may be the rationale for use in other type doors.

• Alexis Adair Harder

These door glass inserts can be used in Wood Doors. However, most of the time wood door glass is a different size than the inserts made by the various manufactures. The inserts in question are designed for Steel and Fiberglass doors because the sizing is uniform. You can try the folks at Zabitat, they offer door glass products and installation.