DIY Coasters Using Popsicle Sticks

I have 2 set of coasters but they are small in size for most of the flat bottom vessels I own. So I thought I need a another pair of coasters which are big enough to protect the dinning table from the hot dishes. Today I am going to show a simple method to make coasters out of popsicle sticks and also 2 ways to spruce them up.
Arrange the popsicle sticks one after the other as shown. I used eight big popsicle sticks for one coasters and two sticks at the back to secure.
Cut the rounded edges of the popsicle sticks using scissors. Apply a line of E6000 glue and secure the sticks. I used two sticks one on each side.You can also use one more in the center if desired. Allow it to dry.
Now your coasters are ready! To spruce them up, I got two ways. One is to use wood burning tool to add some designs or to paint them and use paint pens to free hand some designs.
For Wood burning :
Use the shading point to create flower like shapes on the coasters. I like to call them as leaf point as it looks like that. So, first use the leaf point and create/burn a flower with four petals facing all the four directions then fill each gap between with another four petals to create a flower shape.
Use the Texture n Tone point to create diamond print coasters. I like to call them as diamond point as the outer shape looks like it. I used this tip in side ways for one stick and repeated the design and used them in straight ways for the second stick and repeated the same. I used another popsicle stick in the middle at the back while burning the design to give some evenness and stability when pressing the tip to burn. Your coasters are now ready to use.
Use a white acrylic paint or chalky finish paint (I used the leftover from my Bookshelf makeover) to make the coasters white.Allow it to dry. Use paint pens to create your own designs. As mandalas are in trend right now, I just drew my own mandala design using the paint pen. Why paint pens? you may ask. It gives a nice opaque look to the design compared to using a normal sharpie marker. Seal the coasters with clear varnish to protect the design. Allow it to dry and your coasters are ready to use.
For more pictures and ideas on how to create design using universal point in wood burning tool, visit the blog link below.

• Popsicle sticks
  • E6000
  • Wood burning tool & different points/tips

Sahana

• Hannah V

Soo cute! I just finished a wall shelf out of popsicle sticks and am obsessed with them! These are awesome.