Marilyn
Marilyn
  • Spokane, WA

Butterfly bush with no blooms

Douglas HuntMarilynLiliana Wells
+4

I have a butterfly bush that is growing like crazy but has no blooms on it. It bloomed last year so I don't know what the problem is. Anyone know?

Marilyn, typically abundant growth without blooms would lead me to believe you had used a fertilizer that was too high in nitrogen, which will encourage growth at the expense of blooms. The other considerations would be pruning--most buddleia bloom on new wood--and whether it was getting enough sunlight.

• Marilyn

I wondered about the fertilizer. I don't remember doing that last year or this but maybe some miracle grow. I only pruned off the dead parts. It gets plenty of water and sun. Just baffling.

• Liliana Wells

Pruning about a third of the bush will encourage blooming. But it might be too late this year.

With a few exceptions, butterfly plants benefit from a significant cutting back just as they start to leaf out at the beginning of the season.

• Marilyn

Thank you Lillana and Douglas. I was so excited to have it finally getting big since I surrounded it last year with fencing to keep the deer out that it never dawned on me to prune it.

• Marilyn

I just went out and checked my butterfly bush and low and behold it has blooms starting on all the new growth. It's just a slow learner I guess. LOL

Hooray!