Janice H
Janice H
  • Poughquag, NY

what is the name of the plant that flowers open at night?

BarbaraLindaMichelle Tolhurst
+10

• Walter Reeves

night blooming cereus is probably what you're thinking of....but my moonvine does the same

Four o'clocks and evening primrose also don't begin to open until late in the day.

• Susan

Moonflowers are the big white trumpet flowers. I love them. But there are others, too.

• Kelly O

i believe they may be poisonous too. check it out if need be.

• Nancy Williams

Nightshade

• Sherry H.

Moon flower and they are Toxic to our pets.

• Sharolyn Blacketor

There is night blooming jasmine. It is white so I glows in the moonlight and smells good.

• Sue Kiene

Night blooming cereus as well. Night blooming jasmine is wonderful also. I have grown the datura also and love the double purple.

• Michelle Tolhurst

There is also night blooming primrose.

• Linda

Also night blooming ceres ..it's kinda like a low sprawling cactus looking thing, no spines..my aunt in NJ, blooms at midnight for a short time, gorgeous

• Barbara

i have planted night blooming jasmine in a spot far from the windows due to the heavy floral scent (keeps me awake at night!). An alternative is the dwarf jasmine than blooms both day and night in certain climates and has a much lighter scent. Moonflowers are beautiful and ours are nearly pure white. We have one of those in our front yard as much of the plant is toxic to pets and I don't want to endanger our two dogs. They are STUNNING in the moonlight! I haven't tried the primrose or Matthiola Incana Giant Excelsior which looks like summer stock and has a clove like fragrance, but I'm looking! The Datura (also called Devil's Trumpet) is also poisonous to pets and can be invasive, so I've nixed that one. Best of luck!