Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

The Easiest Way to Clean a Burnt Pot or Pan

$1

I hate doing the dishes...like, REALLY hate it. But there's one thing that makes doing the dishes truly unbearable and that's when food gets burnt to the bottom of a pan. Instead of fighting and scraping the pan til it's spotless, here's my favorite method for cleaning stainless steel pots and pans. All it takes is a few cut up lemons and water. The acid in the lemon and the boiling water get off all the really tough gunk, plus the lemons get rid of any burnt smell and replace it with a sweet citrus scent.

easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan

Here's a pot that has been burnt to heck. You don't even want to know what I was trying to cook! Let's just say that I needed a super powered cleaner, and a fresh scent would definitely help.

Step 1: Chop Up Two Lemons

easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan

I cut my lemons into eights, but you can cut them into quarters or slices, as long as you end up with enough pieces to cover the bottom of the pan.

Step 2: Add Water

easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan

I added enough water to cover the whole burnt bottom of the pan. It's no use trying to cover the lemons - they float! As long as the burnt area is covered, the lemons will do their job.

Step 3: Bring to a Boil

easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan

I brought the water to a rolling boil. You can even see the burnt specks coming off the bottom of the pot as the lemons swam around.

Step 4: Let Water Cool & Dump It Out

easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan

After I dumped out the lemons and dirty water, I was left with a thin brown layer on the bottom of the pot. All I had to do was scrub it lightly with a brush, and all the leftover grime fell away.

Step 5: Rinse out Your Pot

easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan

A few rinses later, and my crud-caked pot was good as new! Now, wasn't that easier than scrubbing with steel wool til your fingers are raw?

easy way to clean a burnt pot or pan

It's hard to believe, but that really is the same pot! This is one magic trick I will definitely be doing again.

• Sherry Draine Hannah

What about the outside bottom?

• Dana

Sprinkle some bicarb (baking soda) on the bottom and use a green scotch bright scrubbing pad the scratchy ones, and lots of elbow grease. Comes up a treat.

• Shawna Bailey

Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide takes that off.

• User

Does it work with citric or malic acid?

• Olg5766573

Will this work if you wait a day or two???

• Jodi

Yes, another alternative is to boil the water with Citric Acid/Lemon Salt (use your discretion as to the amount, but ranging from 3 - 8 tbs approx. depending on pot size, etc) ...you can always repeat.. or add extra LemonSalt i the middle. Lemon Salt (aka Citric Acid is found i any grocery, usually near the spices). Good luck! Ps. the used hot water at the end can be poured into another bowl or the like that you'd like cleaner and as it cools it helps to clean the utensil too.

• Jodi

(I mean, yes, it works no-matter how long the pot has been standing... I've had the WORST case scenarios on my hands, trust me )

• Shawna Bailey

Yes it will

• Dl.5660408

How long do you let it boil?

• Martha

Do you think this will work to clean stove top drip pans? Put them in a pan with water and lemons.You know, those pans under burners on stove the top. My drip pans have seen better days. The husband has been spilling food on them and just keeps cooking .

• MsCaliLady

Why not give it a try? Nothing to lose. You might also try making a baking soda and water paste and let it sit for twenty minutes before scrubbing.

• Brdgl1963

Drip pans were the bane of my existence. I saw on a cleaning show lay them side by side in a black garbage bag outside, put paper towels or a piece of newspaper and spray them with ammonia. Soak them. Fasten the bag and leave them to bake in the sun for a while. I honestly forgot them while I was cleaning the laundry room. Take them out, use rubber gloves, and check the gunk for movement. It should just shove aside. Rinse under the outdoor faucet and tie the trash bag shut for disposal. I cleaned my racks, and broiler pan and other crusty things. I have arthritis and fybromyalgia and my scrubbing isn't what it used to be.

• Wilma Castillo

I clean my drip pans with oven cleaner.Hated to scrub those pans and they are not cheap.But Oven cleaner does the job for me now

• Car3787789

I use the ammonia as above. It works like a charm. So easy.

• Karen

Put them in a large Baggie with ammonia overnight That will clean them according to another helpful hint in Pinterest

• Karen

• Sandra

Don't forget to use these methods for the grills on your BBQ

• Sylvie

Vous pouvez aussi essayer le bicarbonate et ajoutez juste assez de vinaigre pour faire une pâte et en étendre sur la surface brûlee. Laisser reposer pendant environ quinze minutes. La crasse s'enlevera toué seule.

• Shawna Bailey

Yes it will

• Mary Hofstra

You don't need very much ammonia! The item you're cleaning doesn't have to be wet with the ammonia. It's the fumes from the ammonia that's doing the cleaning🤗! And you really should keep the bag with the ammonia & the item in a well ventilated area or outside. If it's cold outside, keep it in the garage. Or wait for a warmer day.

• Gloria Ponce

Will limes work too?

• Alan

You don't need anything just plain clean water will do fine, just put it in the pot and bring it up to the boil and it will just simply dissapear, try it and see for your self, I've done it several times, it is extremely hard to make Jam with a rolling boil without burning the bottom of the pan.

• Shawna Bailey

Yes

• Gail

I add a small squirt of Dawn dish soap to my water. Boil , then cool. Works wonders.

• Ma_pa_jackrabbit

Baking soda, water and boil. My Grama and my mother did this. It works like a dream.

• Cissy Olie

what can I use to clean an oven that hasn't been done in years?

• Ire9364745

For a magnetron oven I use a bowl filled with vinegar and let The magnetron do it's thing on maximum for 10 minutes.( awful vinegar fumes so be sure to ventilate well) Leave to cool down and wipe away the sides with a clean cloth until no more "brown stuff" comes off. Maybe this could work for a conventional oven too.

• Rosie

Take the oven apart and put the parts into a large stable trash bag. Pour a bottle of ammonia into it and seal it closed. Leave it in the bathtub overnight and it will come right off with steel wool and minimum scrubbing.

• Bobbie

I do what Rosie suggested only I live in warm climate so I just put mine outdoors and if the ammonia leakes through a tear in the bag the fumes are not so overbearing. I have always had good luck with this ammonia trick.

• Shawna Bailey

Ammonia

• Zar15730562

I like ur way to clean burnt pots. thank u

• Pallet Man

A paste of baking soda and water smeared on the oven grime and kept wet with a misting sprayer will dissolve the grime. Give it time to work. A warm oven is easiest to clean. The same will work in the pot and be cheaper than using lemons. The caustic soda (water and baking soda) will dissolve more than the citric acid will. Plus, you can store baking soda for those times rather than a drive to the store to buy lemons.

• Betty

I use baking soda. Sprinkle in bottom pf pot, put in small amount of water(-enough to cover bottom). Put on stove and bring to boil. Turn off and let pot sit for awhile. Comes right off and look at the $ saved from buying all those lemons(they are expensive here).

• Bleuizes

Thank you for the baking soda idea, I'm allergic to amonia and thought for a second, "Itl never be clean!" Lol

• Tweety

I love the lemon idea , because not only does it do a great job , it just makes your home smell fresh & clean again. ( as opposed to smoky & burnt ) I always toss my used lemons in the garbage disposal as well.

• Beverly Hirsch

It's true that the baking soda DOES give the house a "smokey" smell for a short while. I just used it yesterday for a pot with a lot of rice stuck on it. I boiled it for about ten minutes, then left it to soak in the mixture overnight. Everything came off this morning with very little scrubbing. The pot was stainless, I would NEVER use this on an old fashioned iron or aluminum pot. The smokey smell only lasted a short while, and wasn't really bad anyhow.

• Aryeh Kaufman

Can I use lemon juice if I don't have any lemons or limes?

• Shawna Bailey

Yes, or anything acidic, like vinegar

• Runa Hellinga

So, if vinegar works, won't that be much cheaper than using whole lemons?

• C Van Houten

Some folks can't stand the smell of vinegar, such as my husband. :D

• Marilyn

Lemons are too expensive where I live I would opt for vinegar.

• Kim

You don't need lemons, just water. This process is the same as deglazing the pan.

• Renata

I also just use water but the lemon idea would smell a lot better so I will try it next time, but I will really try hard for there not to be a next time, lol

• Jgr17404425

Hot water and Dawn Dish liquid will do same.
  • 00819081123

How do I clean and oven?

• Sharon

How can I print this or any of the pins ?

• Shawna Bailey

You can copy and paste the page?

• Diane McKnight

I highlight the article, copy it (Ctrl+C), go to Word and paste it (Ctrl+V). Once in Word (or whatever word processing program you use, you can delete what you don't need or add notes.
    • Linda Sikut

Also some printers (or operating systems, I'm not sure which) allow you to highlight what you want to print, then use to copy. Follow that with and your printer box will come up. Sometimes there is a check off box that says "Print selection". Mine when away when I got a new printer, but you might have it.
  • Kathy Thornton

what about burns on outside of pot?
    • Darlene D Dixon

Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda!
    • Patti

Ive never tried lemons. I use baking soda. Sprinkle a thick layer to cover botter of pan and add a little water, let it sit overnight and the burnt on residue lifts off, just like with the lemons.
    • Linda Sikut

I've also used baking soda, but my mother taught me to use regular dish soap and water then bring it to a boil and simmer a while. You can actually see the black bits floating in the water. The issue with that is that hot dish soap doesn't smell good. I love the lemon idea. I would guess that vinegar would work too, but it would stink, as well. If you look online, there are many similar methods to what has been said in the comments so pick your favorite and go for it instead of scrubbing. Like I said, I really love the lemon idea - mostly because it would smell so much better!
    • Jas31664171

I have soaked the bottom of the pan for
      several hrs with a dishwasher soap.
      Lightly scrubed and all came off
  • Pamela Davis

Can you use lemon juice instead of lemons?
    • Anna Anima Mundi

It would be worth a try....although the cut-up lemons with peels would also release lemon oil, which also has its own cleansing properties.
  • P Dolby

Does the pan burn everything you put in it after you have cleaned it?
    • Ddn29938586

Y es
    • P Dolby

Yep - finally threw mine away after too many times of ruining food. Bummer
    • Denise Ferree

Season the pot, use vegetable oil on a paper towel and wipe before you use, just like we used to do with Tfal. All stainless pots should be seasoned first before each use-it will keep the pot like new. I have pots that are over 40 years old and work like new.
  • Bijoux

How do you remove the brown stuff that is on underside of a big pan?
    • Pati

Use acid as well. Lemon, vinegar, even ketchup.
    • Debbie Anders

I use a Mr. Clean eraser. Works on anything and everything! Love them
    • Kay

I just use Bi Card of Soda. Bring water to the boil, add 1-2 heap tea spoons of soda. Turn stove temp down to low, and simmer 5-10 mins. Come back, loosen gunk with wooden spoon. Tip water out, and wash as usual. Deoending on how burnt, the pot is, you may need to repeat, the process. Kay Adelaide Australia
  • Anita

Will this work on sediment from hard water?
  • Connie Gurley

twill this work on the outside of the pans?
    • PJ

the only way to get the lemons to boil is to immerse the pan in a bigger pan. Put the water and lemons in the bigger pan.
  • Joyce Rice

How to clean the outside of the pot? Looks like burnt grease spots.
    • Glory

Get some Bar Keepers Friend. You will wonder how you ever got along without it in your life. 😇
    • Paula

Why couldn't you put the pan in a larger pan with the water and lemon juice?

• Jus4822734

I have a griddle that needs cleaning, how do I do this with that?
  • Leia Sahdala

Can limes work as well as lemons to remove burnt on food?

• Fav22473512

Will Limes or Oranges work?

• Rose M

What can I use to clean off stains from my cookie sheets?

• Zayra Reasor

Can I use oranges also?

• Flora Canaie

Can I use normal lime.

• Clair A. Gervais

White vinegar works real good and it's cheaper. 1/1 vinegar and h2o, boil then simmer. Same instructions.

• Marilyn Wojtas

How to get burnt grease off the bottom outside of pans?

• Clair A. Gervais

I had a 2 quart pan that was awful, and I just kept using it like that, so it was really burnt on. In a larger pan, I put 1 cup vinegar and a little more than a cup of h2o, placed the the solution boiled, then simmer about 10 minutes, and the burnt on outside of pan was easily cleaned!! Do it for inside burnt on grime too, cheaper than using those lemons.

• Drp6149

This is a waste of lemon - which are not cheap - since it is probably the acid - put enough water in the pan to cover the burnt stuff - bring to a boil and add 1/4 C vinegar and 1 Tbsp Dove dish soap - simmer for at least 30 minutes and easily scrape out the burnt stuff. The other method I use is to add water to cover the burnt stuff and depending on the size of the pan add 2-4 Tbsp of vinegar and 2-4 Tbsp of bleach (put a lid on as this smells) and simmer for at least 30 minutes and easily scrape out the burnt stuff. If it's really badly burnt it may take a second round of the same. Then take the lemons and make lemonade and enjoy it while the pan is simmering the burnt stuff loose.

• Mary Lou Morin

I'd use baking soda in a paste form. Just mix in enough water to make a paste. Should work.

• Joy

Can I use this in a coated pot ? I know some things will take the coating off..

• Granny Laura

I have coated pots too but I don't use lemons, they're very expensive where I live. To clean messes like this (on any pan that has burnt gunk in the bottom) I do this: wipe out any excess grease, pour in about 1 tbsp. of blue Dawn & add water to about 2 inches deep. Bring to a boil on the stove, reduce to simmer for a few minutes then dump the dirty water. Rinse with cool water and you'll see a lot of the gunk go down the drain. Make sure there's almost no water in the pot, add a couple tbsps. of baking soda and a little more blue Dawn then use your slightly wet, safe-for-coated-pans scrubbie to remove the remaining junk. Add more baking soda and a tiny bit of water if needed. This is a tad more work than the lemon method but it's easy for me even though I have arthritis in my wrists. Baking soda is a very gentle abrasive but it's also quite effective, especially if combined with Dawn. And if my glass baking dishes start to develop that black grunge on them, the combo of Dawn, baking soda and a slightly wet scrubbie (no boiling), works wonders for these too. And best of all, baking soda is very inexpensive.

By the way, this combo will also get scum out of bathtubs & showers too - no hard scrubbing required. It also gets grease off of stove tops, range hoods, microwaves - I could go on and on. Try it.

• Evelyn Milne

Wouldn't boiling cleaning vinegar do the same thing but cheaper?

• Sherry

Yes it would...and cheaper too

• Judy G

Baking soda works too

• Barb

I've used a fabric softener sheet as well.

• Sylvia Candler

I use coca-cola or whatever soda you have on hand. You don't even have to boil it. Just pour it in and let it soak overnight. Works like a charm every time. It saved one of my expensive stainless pans that I thought was a total loss!

• Wilda

Pan cleaned after burnt. Still discolored. Will this make the pot shine again? How do you get the sides to shine?