Lori A
Lori A
  • Logan, OH

I have vinyl, white cupboards in my kitchen. YUK!!! How do I paint them!!!

Gabrielle FalkHandyANDY - Handyman & All Repairs, LLCLori A
+2

• Miriam I

I'e seen a lot of painted wood, like this post: http://www.hometalk.com/156604/how-i-painted-my-oak-cabinets but I'm not sure about vinyl. I'll be curious to see what others say.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Easily available, Zinzer 1 2 3 primer sticks well to plastic-like products after cleaning. Then apply a high quality acrylic trim paint. Best, Charles

• Lori A

Thank You!! I will do just that!! I'll let you all know how they turn out!!

• Just make sure the vinyl film is still good and tightly bonded to the surface. If you're painting them a color, you can tint the Zinser 1-2-3 to minimize the number of coats you will need to cover. You can use either a latex or oil-based enamel...I assume that you aren't going back with white...but it you were, just know that oil-based enamels will yellow now fairly quickly. We have a client who insists on a high gloss while enamel for her cabinets....they yellow after a couple of years and she has HandyANDY out to repaint the again!

• Gabrielle Falk

Would it be easier, maybe a 'tad' more expensive, to keep the cupboards, minus the doors, and just replace the doors. Might be a little more expensive initially, but the end result would be far more pleasing. Repainted surfaces, I've discovered, have a limited life, especially in a working room, ie kitchen.