DIY Mason Jar Solar Lights

Solar lights are inexpensive and really beautiful in the garden. Here's is how you do it!
First gather your supplies.  I purchased my solar lights at WalMart, the bailing wire at Home Depot, and the Ball jars through Amazon.com.  (Just use a Classico Tomato Sauce Jar instead!)
First gather your supplies. I purchased my solar lights at WalMart, the bailing wire at Home Depot, and the Ball jars through Amazon.com. (Just use a Classico Tomato Sauce Jar instead!)
Use the bailing wire to create a simple loop to hang your lantern.  Go around the rim of the jar, create a loop, go over the top and twist on the other side.
Use the bailing wire to create a simple loop to hang your lantern. Go around the rim of the jar, create a loop, go over the top and twist on the other side.
I used a Classico Tomato Sauce jar lid because it fits a Ball jar perfectly and it is easy to cut with kitchen shears.  Spray paint if you're fancy.  (I am)
I used a Classico Tomato Sauce jar lid because it fits a Ball jar perfectly and it is easy to cut with kitchen shears. Spray paint if you're fancy. (I am)
Take apart the solar light.  It is really easy they just come right off the stake.  Then use E-600 to glue the light to the inside of the Classico Lid.
Take apart the solar light. It is really easy they just come right off the stake. Then use E-600 to glue the light to the inside of the Classico Lid.
See how easy it is!
See how easy it is!
I attached one to each fence post!  It looks really beautiful at night, and pretty in the daytime too!
I attached one to each fence post! It looks really beautiful at night, and pretty in the daytime too!
Here is the finished product!

**Tip!!  I dropped an additional solar light into the bottom of the jar as well.  It gives light from the top and bottom.  I just take them out once a week  and flip them over for sun and they re-charge.
Here is the finished product! **Tip!! I dropped an additional solar light into the bottom of the jar as well. It gives light from the top and bottom. I just take them out once a week and flip them over for sun and they re-charge.
ThriftDee

• Barbara

Where did you get the blue jars?

• Amy15704624

You can buy ready made canning jar solar lids at Michaels and Joanns.. They are obviously more expensive at about $5 beach. I bought 2 from Joanns and they are not bright enough.

• Cheyenne Sheehan

I loved your solar lights, but I really want to know more about your fence! Did you build it yourself? If so, would you be willing to share some basic information. This is exactly what I've been dreaming about and I'd love any advice you might be willing to offer on materials, measurements, number of posts you used, etc. Thanks!

• ThriftDee

Cheyenne thank you so much for your question! We live in a subdivision that has horse fences instead of traditional privacy fences. I didn't build it

• Martha Morgan Harbour

How do you keep the jar from getting moisture in it?

• ThriftDee

Unfortunately I didn't. I just brought them inside when I wasn't using them. You could try silicone around the lid. Thanks so much for your question!!

• Barbara

As long as it's getting sunlight I don't see why that wouldn't work.

• MaryAnn B

is the protective plastic sheeting removed from the top? Is the light in the on position? these are mistakes that I've made :-)