Diana Blazer
Diana Blazer
  • Morristown, TN

How do you tint mason jars permanently? the modge podge method washes

Fma10531945Tar13963737Mrs P
+5

does anyone have a method for tinting mason jars permanently? I want to be able to use them with liquid and I can't seem to find a way.
  • HomeSpot HQ

As @Miriam mentioned, we used modge podge and food coloring with good success. I've personally been using the jars as flower vases for several months with no fading. Just make sure to let the jars completely dry before putting them in use.

• HomeSpot HQ

I should also mention that a modge podge sealer was used at the end of the project, which helps a lot!

• Kat Tellez

If you don't want to use modge podge, I would recommend pebeo vitrea paint. You can find it at most craft stores for between $3 and $6 a bottle or on Ebay. You paint it on let it dry for 24 hours and then bake in the oven to set it. It's permanent and dishwasher safe.

• Linda Leyble

Hi! There's a new book out called Mason Jar Crafts by Lauren Donaldson- she covers everything you can do with mason jars in this book - really amazing. As soon as I get my copy I will be doing a giveaway on my blog - The Colorful Bee! Probably next week.

• Mrs P

If your looking for a sea glass look, krylon and rust oleum makes sea glass spray paint in Aqua and sea green, I did some vases they are fine with water, I also have candle lights that hang outside they've held up pretty good in weather

• Tar13963737

The modge podge method works. Use 3 parts modge podge, 1 part water, food color... paint it on and turn upside down for 5 mins. I then cure mine at 170 degrees for 20 minutes. Place your colored glasses on the bottom rack while it's preheating. After 20 mins, leave in the oven to cool down. I get the best results this way.
  • Fma10531945

is there another way, without using the oven