What Can You Do With a Smashed Rusty Tin Can?

Don't throw it away! Make it into a rustic planter and fill it with succulent cuttings. I found this rusty treasure while hiking in the woods. I love all things rusty so there was no way I was going to leave it lying there. I knew I would find a purpose for it- and I did. The opening was very small so I filled it with a bit of soil and planted the tiny succulents and filled in with moss. I love unusual planters for my plants.

3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
15 Memorial Day Crafts
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See

• Janice Crowe
    Janice Crowe

What kind of can is this
    • Irene G
      Irene G

It was a smashed rusty can I found in the woods. Just wide enough opening to put some succulent cuttings in. I basically just put in some soil and moss and then the cuttings.
  • Sylvia Packer McClain
    Sylvia Packer McClain

1. Is the wooden fence made from pressure treated wood?

2. Do you bring it inside during winter months?

• Barb
    Barb

Did you find it the color it is now? It appears to be mostly purples and pinks. It lovely!

• Irene G
    Irene G

The bottom had a couple of holes from rusting through. I basically stuffed it with moss and the Succulents rooted in that.

• Moon
    Moon

What I like about this project is that it lets a rusty can be a rusty can, but it's very artistic and creative the way this can was used in a rustic context. I might be inclined to try making a wood frame, putting chicken wire inside it, putting that on the fence and then adding the can, as I think it might enhance it and add a little more texture while still remaining rustic, but kind of framing it all into a little vignette sort of. Very nice! Now I want to grab a big can and run over it with my car a couple times and leave it outside for a few months....:)