Fish Pond Makeover

$00
2 Months

There is a delightfully wicked game that Handan likes to play with me each year. In spring and summer, as we labor over some massive landscape or garden project, she says to me, “This is the last of the hard work, my babes. After this project, after this summer, we’ll be relaxing and enjoying ourselves next summer. Just you wait and see.” Then, during the bleakest days of winter, when summer is only a phantom in a fever dream, Handan’s mind, twisted by cold and darkness, devises evil and nefarious plans for the impending spring and unborn summer. Thus, my promised summer of loafing and lounging and carefree margarita-drinking is kicked yet another year down the road. This year’s winter-born project was a fundamental overhaul of our fish pond and surrounding landscaping, and boy, was it a doozy! Here is what we started with. But first, listen - Hometalk only allows 15 photos per post, and this project comprises three posts on our blog with well over 100 photos, so I'm urging you to head on over there to check it out when you are done here. I'll be giving links to parts 1 and 2 within this post, and I'll link to part 3 (The Big Reveal) at the end. Normally I like to post as much as I can on Hometalk, but with this project, I'll only be able to give some highlights here. Head on over the The Navage Patch blog for more! Okay, here we go...
For more about the pond before we started and to find out our plans, click over to Part 1 on our blog. The longest journey begins with a single step, but the longest landscaping project began with a single rock. Thus began the pond project on a raw morning in late March, as winter’s grasp squeezed New England with waning strength on borrowed time. I was pale and lethargic from a winter of beef stews and Netflix. My body drooped and my mind sagged as I looked upon the rings and piles of rocks I needed to haul into the woods before the project could begin in earnest. This was the donkey work. I brayed and got to it.
We hauled rocks, cleaned and removed huge clumps of grass from the pond.
There were still fish in this water!
We transferred them to safety and got on with the cleaning.
Installing a new liner made things nice and neat. We also installed a faux-rock liner so we wouldn't need as many rocks when we were done. All those rocks collect mud over the years and make the pond difficult to clean.

We added a few rocks here and there and a border made from the same landscape bricks we used around the perimeter of the pond area. To read more about how we updated the pond, please check out The Pond Project Part 2 on our blog.

When the pond was finished, we turned our attention to the surrounding landscaping. We built a small wall from landscaping bricks.
We cleared out some excess daylilies, removed most of the existing plants, raised the area with soil, covered everything with new landscape fabric, re-planted or planted anew, then covered everything with mulch.
The results far exceeded our expectations.
We added all kinds of solar lights, so it really shines at night. When the sun goes down, this pond comes alive!
Well, I'm out of space here on Hometalk. I hope you'll pop on over to our blog to see the full set of Reveal photos. I do think you'll like them. Thanks so much for reading! If you are interested in similar crafts & DiY projects, click here to see more crafts & DiY projects from The Navage Patch. Greg and Handan

• Stone
  • Liner

31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Karen

Just love this! Where did you find those large colorful globe lights?
  • Sharon Huneycutt Harris

With fish, do you have mosquito problems or do they control mosquitos by eating them? Just wondering.
    • Tanne

Yes they do. I have gold fish pond and water fall, never any mosquitoes. Any place there is a little water standing in summer you will have mosquitoe lavra which gold fish will eat.

• Deborah Giovannangelo

This is a beautiful idea I would love to have a fish pond , what do you do with the fish in the winter time . Unless you live in a warm climate

• AM

A family I knew (in southern Maine) brought their Koi indoors over the winter. In coastal VA, I know that with the right conditions the cold water causes their systems to go dormant for the winter which they survive well as long as they are left alone. Local ponds and fisheries post signs warning people not to feed them through cold months to avoid disturbing their dormancy. In Maine, though, the fish were transferred to a smaller indoor pond (located within a business) through winter months and then moved back outdoors when the worst of winter had passed.

• Kat Rogers

SO Beautiful, Your Work AND Where You Guys Live (Might you have room for Me & 3 cats?)!

And I must say How Funny YOU Are, Greg!

NOW, I've got to go... To Your Blog So I may live vicariously through You Two Blessed People! I Really am so jealous of your FABULOUS surroundings!

Leave me a message here on how to get to My New Home when you're ready for us! 😁

Thanks for sharing! 🐈

• Carol Cole

SO BEAUTIFUL> I bet you couldn't wait to see it at night. I love it.