Fish Pond Makeover

$00
2 Months

There is a delightfully wicked game that Handan likes to play with me each year. In spring and summer, as we labor over some massive landscape or garden project, she says to me, “This is the last of the hard work, my babes. After this project, after this summer, we’ll be relaxing and enjoying ourselves next summer. Just you wait and see.” Then, during the bleakest days of winter, when summer is only a phantom in a fever dream, Handan’s mind, twisted by cold and darkness, devises evil and nefarious plans for the impending spring and unborn summer. Thus, my promised summer of loafing and lounging and carefree margarita-drinking is kicked yet another year down the road. This year’s winter-born project was a fundamental overhaul of our fish pond and surrounding landscaping, and boy, was it a doozy! Here is what we started with. But first, listen - Hometalk only allows 15 photos per post, and this project comprises three posts on our blog with well over 100 photos, so I'm urging you to head on over there to check it out when you are done here. I'll be giving links to parts 1 and 2 within this post, and I'll link to part 3 (The Big Reveal) at the end. Normally I like to post as much as I can on Hometalk, but with this project, I'll only be able to give some highlights here. Head on over the The Navage Patch blog for more! Okay, here we go...
fish pond makeover, how to, outdoor living, ponds water features
For more about the pond before we started and to find out our plans, click over to Part 1 on our blog. The longest journey begins with a single step, but the longest landscaping project began with a single rock. Thus began the pond project on a raw morning in late March, as winter’s grasp squeezed New England with waning strength on borrowed time. I was pale and lethargic from a winter of beef stews and Netflix. My body drooped and my mind sagged as I looked upon the rings and piles of rocks I needed to haul into the woods before the project could begin in earnest. This was the donkey work. I brayed and got to it.
We hauled rocks, cleaned and removed huge clumps of grass from the pond.
There were still fish in this water!
We transferred them to safety and got on with the cleaning.
Installing a new liner made things nice and neat. We also installed a faux-rock liner so we wouldn't need as many rocks when we were done. All those rocks collect mud over the years and make the pond difficult to clean.

We added a few rocks here and there and a border made from the same landscape bricks we used around the perimeter of the pond area. To read more about how we updated the pond, please check out The Pond Project Part 2 on our blog.

When the pond was finished, we turned our attention to the surrounding landscaping. We built a small wall from landscaping bricks.
We cleared out some excess daylilies, removed most of the existing plants, raised the area with soil, covered everything with new landscape fabric, re-planted or planted anew, then covered everything with mulch.
The results far exceeded our expectations.
We added all kinds of solar lights, so it really shines at night. When the sun goes down, this pond comes alive!
Well, I'm out of space here on Hometalk. I hope you'll pop on over to our blog to see the full set of Reveal photos. I do think you'll like them. Thanks so much for reading! If you are interested in similar crafts & DiY projects, click here to see more crafts & DiY projects from The Navage Patch. Greg and Handan

• Stone
  • Liner
Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Karen

Just love this! Where did you find those large colorful globe lights?
  • Sharon Huneycutt Harris

With fish, do you have mosquito problems or do they control mosquitos by eating them? Just wondering.
    • Tanne
      30 minutes ago

Yes they do. I have gold fish pond and water fall, never any mosquitoes. Any place there is a little water standing in summer you will have mosquitoe lavra which gold fish will eat.

• Deborah Giovannangelo

This is a beautiful idea I would love to have a fish pond , what do you do with the fish in the winter time . Unless you live in a warm climate

• Tanne
      27 minutes ago

We live foothills in NC never a problem. Gold fish stays in pond winter and summer.

• Lynne

so beautiful, and ponds are so calming.
  • Joanie

Your choice and your fun place......enjoy!! You look young, glad you could tackle it now......bless you!