Easy Ikea Lack Sofa Table Hack

$157

This is such an easy project and the end result is a very high-end look on a very tiny budget. I fell in love with a $900 bookcase that I couldn't afford. It had gorgeous pieces of reclaimed wood that formed the shelves. But, I figured out a way to easily replicate the look on my Ikea lack table and couldn't be happier!
First, let's review what the basic Ikea Lack table looks like and how much it costs.
It's nothing special, but it is durable and sturdy (we've had ours for almost 3 years already) and it's only $59!
This is what mine looked like before I got started.
First, I painted it a pretty blue color.
Then I cut down these stunning (affiliate) reclaimed wood tiles that you can find by clicking here to cover the bottom of the table shelf.
The wood tiles were glue in place using (affiliate) Dap Rapid Fuse Wood Adhesive which you can find by clicking here ; it's the best wood adhesive I have found.
For the sides, I had to cut and install each strip one at a time. You can easily peel individual pieces of wood off the webbed backing. I'm not going to lie, this step is definitely more time consuming than covering the bottom shelf. See, you can't just trim the side pieces with your table saw because each piece needs to be a different length so that it fits into/fingers into the wood tiles on the bottom perfectly; remember, the bottom tiles are not a uniform size. I put on an awesome audio book and powered through this step.
The effort was definitely worth it! Just check out the finished product!
Another view.
I'm 100% in love. The entire project took about 3 hours and cost only $157. You can see the full, lengthy tutorial on my blog by clicking the link to my blog post below.

3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Perfectly Round Tables
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Tasha @ Designer Trapped In A Lawyer's Body

• Wanda M. Ryan

Can you repaint over the chalk paint if you don't like the color you choose? Would have to sand it then before painting maybe with something shiney?

• Alice White

I have had very good luck with chalk paint. I usually wipe my stuff down with crud cutter and if you think it needs it you can lightly sand or put a base primer like kilz.

• Bebes

How did you buy the wood tiles from HD...by the case r sq ft? Thanks!

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

Put your zip code in the link if it shows available in a local store then usually you can buy by the sq foot. If not available in store then you have to buy the case.

• Jha28504483

Love the color I have been looking for that color with no luck, what is the brand and name?

• Jade

sadly this is just coming up on my Facebook feed in 2020 the reclaimed wood has been discontinued by Home Depot.

• Maureen

Nice makeover!! I love the blue with the wood.