Andrea H
Andrea H
  • Flint, MI

Restoring a painted what-not shelf

Andrea HKat =^.^=Judy Johnson Wilson

I have a what-not shelf that was my mothers, and in my bedroom while i lived at home. My mother loved to paint everything - she painted this what-not shelf and I know the wood under it would be beautiful, but I do not know what kind of wood it is. Do I leave it alone? should I be concerned about value if I restore it? or fork out the bucks and have it professionally done? I want to use it! but it looks like "shabby sheek" right now.... lol
  • Judy Johnson Wilson

There are many good paint stripping products that will not hurt the wood. After its all stripped, give it a light sanding, then a stain if needed and a few coat of polyurethane to protect and shine.

• Kat =^.^=

hi! i've always used Homer Formbys because it is supposed to not ruin the patina of the wood. i agree with judy. i also use 0000 steel wool and a tack rag. good luck hope you post a pic when you get it done?

• Andrea H

thank you very much for you replies. so you are saying the "Homer Formbys" just removes the paint ? and the wood finish is not touched ? I understand the light sanding - but that is what I am interested in - removing the paint but not harm the shelf.