Irene G
Irene G
  • Oakdale, CA

Vintage Red Flyer Wagon - Planter With Succulent Plants

I love my little red wagon! I picked it up for super cheap at an out of the way Antique store! What better way to use it than turn it into a planter for my ever growing collection of succulents. I love that it is moveable so I can move it out the scorching sun on these 100+ degree days.
vintage red flyer wagon planter with succulent plants, flowers, gardening, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, succulents

• Cindy

Did you put drain holes in the bottom of the wagon or just use rocks for drainage?

• Irene G

I tried. My bit would not do it. I put about 4 in. Of small rocks on the bottom.. I was concerned with drainage. I kept it on the dry side and when it rained I drained it or covered it with a tarp.The metal became rusty and the succulents grew like crazy they grew so much I had to take most of them out and start over.

• Fay Schinck

What did you use for soil in the wagon for the plants? Potting soil? Dirt? Thanks so much love the idea.

• Rjg8076047

Did you spray it with something to keep it from rusting down to nothing? I have one but don't want it to rust to bits.

• Carol

I did this several years ago, it is heaping over with hen and chicks now.

• Sharlene clair

I found a rusted wagon being tossed out with a hole in it!! Just repainted with some rust oleum, wheels and all. Here it is.

, Fairy garden moveable winterized in garage