Kelley Aho Phillips
Kelley Aho Phillips
  • Livonia, MI

Can you plant Hostas in part, or full sun?

Douglas HuntKelley Aho PhillipsBus194820
+4

I mean will they do well, or should I keep them in the shade? They are overdue for a splitting and are huge and I have a bunch of part/full sunny spots that need plants, but I'm afraid if I plant some there, they won't thrive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • Bus194820

They seem to like a mixture,, I plant mine in Partial shade. You can dig up larger plants and split them into several new plants, and I would start them in shade in a Pot and then transfer them after established. I would use the Part/Full sunny spots you need plants in to plant. I am in NW Fl,, very Humid and Long Summers, Hot/Sunny..Hope this helps,, Good Luck!

• Kelley Aho Phillips

Thanks! One of the places I want to put some gets a lot of morning sun, but by the afternoon is shaded, so that would be a good spot then?

• Bus194820

I think this is a Better route of Sunshine! They do like mulch also. I have also saw some People plant in full sun, however those that thrive are in the situation on first comment. and your sunshine AM and Less in PM sounds Good!

• Kelley Aho Phillips

Wonderful! Thank you. :)

If you have a spot that has morning sun and afternoon shade that would probably be ideal for your hostas, Kelley. Some hostas will take a good deal of sun, but you need to be careful about selecting cultivars or the leaves will scorch.

• Kelley Aho Phillips

That's good to know. Thank you. Cultivars are more sensitive to the sun?

Some types of hostas are more sensitive to the sun than others.