Ana M
Ana M
  • Alpharetta, GA

HELP, Hometalkers! My gardenias are full of blooms but flopped over, so do I trim them back or leave them alone?

Debbie / Dragonfly TreasurePaw373952Melissa G
+8

My gardenia bushes are filled to the brim with blooms but I do not know what is appropriate as far as trimming and pruning since they grew so big they are now flopped over. Is it too late to prune and should I even prune them? Am scared to damage them. HELP!!!
q help hometalkers my gardenias are full of blooms but flopped over so do i trim, gardening
  • Carol

I'd let them finish and then trim. I have to do that with ours too.

• Ana M

So trim them once the flowers are all wilted and gone? And should I have cut them down in the spring before they bloomed?

• Jeanette S

Pick these and take them inside and your house will smell wonderfull. They root easily in a vase. I rooted a bunch last year and we are going to put them in later on. They will many times root just sticking a big limb in the ground! I cut mine back every fall.

• Ana M

How much should I cut them back?

• Walter Reeves

I was pruning mine this morning. I make my cuts a foot below where I want the top of the shrub this fall. I try to cut just above two opposite leaves. I see hydrangeas in the background. Don't forget to prune them when the blooms have faded....usually around July 4.

• Melissa K

I would cage or stake then. My camellias do this and so do my dwarf gardenias. Don't mind about the gardenias because they are low to the ground and look nice, but as for the large gardenias, I would give them a little help and cage them in fencing for this season, then prune vigorously in the fall.

• Ana M

Thanks!

• Becky H

Ana, I agree with Jeanette. When mine blooms, the limbs are completely weighted down. To relieve all this, I cut fresh flowers to bring inside or share with neighbors. Doing this will relieve some of the weight on the limbs, bringing them back up to their cheerful positions.

• Melissa G

Can these really be rooted, Jeanette? I have only one of these bushes and would like to have more.

• Paw373952

I have gardenias growing in sun partial shade, growing in dirt, I'm lucky to be in central fla. feed with diluted pickle juice, serious (-: also put rusty nails in dirt. I cut stems for flower bouquet and when flower fades , leave in water or stick in dirt, be patient it will form roots. Been doing this for years.

• Debbie / Dragonfly Treasure

Ana, I do the same as Becky. Picking and sharing these gorgeous scented flowers not only lightens the branches but everyone's mood too ☺