What will clean a smudgy mirror ?

+9
I have two mirrors in my house that have a smudgy film on them. I clean them and come back half an hour later and all the smudges are back
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 17, 2016
    Try white vinegar mixed with water.
  • Debi53 Debi53 on Jun 17, 2016
    I am not sure what is causing your smudges, but if you have them near a source of natural gas, the fumes will cause this. We have a mirror above our gas fireplace and as long as the pilot light is on, I always have a film on my mirror. If that is not the issue, maybe it is what you are using to clean. Try a drop of blue Dawn, and small amount of vinegar and a few cups of water. Spray your cloth--not the mirror--or soak and wring out your cloth and clean your mirror. Dry immediately with a lint free cloth. If this doesn't work, are you sure the smudges on the surface of the mirror or are they behind the glass?
  • Janet Allen Janet Allen on Jun 17, 2016
    I found Armorall automotive glass cleaner does a great job on not only on cars. It's wonderful on mirrors and house windows.
  • B B on Jun 18, 2016
    1/2 cup ammonia a dash of regular blue Dawn and 12 oz of water in spray bottle. Spray on, wip off and you will have a streak free shine. GL
  • Karen Angiocchi Karen Angiocchi on Jun 18, 2016
    After cleaning with vinegar & water dry it with newspaper. No lint & no streaks!
  • Jenny Campbell Jenny Campbell on Jun 18, 2016
    Do you have lights right above your mirror? Some people do and put 60w bulbs in that bakes the glass, so you need to go with a lower watt, I turn off the lights when doing mirrors, with a smudge you can first wash with a ammonia and warm water and dry with newspaper, Hope that helps!
  • Margaret Margaret on Jun 18, 2016
    Vinegar, some water. And if you have it a chamois leather. If not use a microfiber cloth. Dry with newspaper. No film, no leftover lint etc. sometimes the old ways are the best.
  • Vickiebabbitt Vickiebabbitt on Jun 18, 2016
    Car place have a wipe for windows. So i thoight about it and have done 1/4rubbing alcohol and the rest water. It took off the smudges , it dries fast, and no streaking. It is the best thing i have done and cut time polishing those mirrors.
  • Judi Judi on Jun 19, 2016
    Diluted Dawn dish detergent works great on mirrors and windows also.
  • Aleda Fraser Aleda Fraser on Jun 23, 2016
    Well I tried the Vinegar procedure, but had no luck. I have yet to try the other suggestions , but I will definetly give them a try. Thank you everyone
  • Pete Sakes Pete Sakes on Jun 26, 2016
    Add to a gallon of hot water 1 teaspoon blue dawn dish detergent, 1/2 Cup vinegar and 1/4 Cup ammonia. Don your gloves (ammonia will burn) then wash your mirror with this solution until smudgy film is gone, then clean with Windex.
  • Sandy Bronson Sandy Bronson on Jul 18, 2016
    Sprayway window cleaner is best, is gentle on your hands and smells great. It works well on back and stainless steel appliances as well. Be sure to use clean cloths or lint less paper towels.