Pair of Queen Ann Magnolia Stained End Tables {First of the Pair}

I came across a pair of Queen Ann style end tables and I had a vision...
***UPDATE*** You can find the 2nd of the pair of these magnolia tables (different design) on another post here:
http://www.hometalk.com/17879874/finished-pair-of-queen-ann-magnolia-tables
I went to work stripping and had a mighty hard time with this! I don't know WHAT finish was on it, but it certainly didn't want to give way to the new vision I had in mind. After I had gotten half way through this stripping process, I wish I had just painted over them, but it was too late now, so on I went with too many hours of stripping and sanding!
I pulled out my Velvet Finishes Paint for this project (my fav!). I used Rococco for the top and Cosmopolitan for the base, which is a really subtle mint hue.
To learn more about Velvet Finishes paints, you can use this link:
http://www.velvetfinishes.com/shop.html
I transfer my designs using carbon paper. Then I do a light coat of paint to get rid of the harsh carbon marks.
I got started on my artwork. I used Minwax Ebony Wood Finish stain for all of my artwork, but this time, I decided to use two different stains, as I thought the Ebony would be too dark/ harsh for these feminine pieces. So, I used a Minwax Grey as well.
One of my many helpers was by my side! :)
At this point, the design was done except for more shading. You have to let the stain dry enough before adding more shading, otherwise, you end up with a mess.
Can you see the added dimension in this picture from the picture above with the added shading - it gives the whole piece more depth and makes the petals pop off the base.
Now, the final decision - do I distress the base?? Undecided as of right now, but leaning toward a slight distressing with a glaze.
Hope you enjoyed!
Starting it's matching piece with a complimentary Dahlia design.

• Velvet Finishes Paints
  • Minwax Stain

15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps

To see more: http://www.mmembellishments.com

• Sunny
    Sunny

I love this look, but my question is this, how do you apply the stain? Do you use a brush or a rag or both? Thanks! So want to try this technique on my boring kitchen nook table! Yours is stunning!

• Melinda Miller
    Melinda Miller

How do you keep the stain in the pattern without “running” into the grain of the wood?

• Denise
    Denise

Did you paint the table tops before you used the stain to make the flowers?