Pair of Queen Ann Magnolia Stained End Tables {First of the Pair}

I came across a pair of Queen Ann style end tables and I had a vision...
***UPDATE*** You can find the 2nd of the pair of these magnolia tables (different design) on another post here:
http://www.hometalk.com/17879874/finished-pair-of-queen-ann-magnolia-tables
I went to work stripping and had a mighty hard time with this! I don't know WHAT finish was on it, but it certainly didn't want to give way to the new vision I had in mind. After I had gotten half way through this stripping process, I wish I had just painted over them, but it was too late now, so on I went with too many hours of stripping and sanding!
I pulled out my Velvet Finishes Paint for this project (my fav!). I used Rococco for the top and Cosmopolitan for the base, which is a really subtle mint hue.
To learn more about Velvet Finishes paints, you can use this link:
http://www.velvetfinishes.com/shop.html
I transfer my designs using carbon paper. Then I do a light coat of paint to get rid of the harsh carbon marks.
I got started on my artwork. I used Minwax Ebony Wood Finish stain for all of my artwork, but this time, I decided to use two different stains, as I thought the Ebony would be too dark/ harsh for these feminine pieces. So, I used a Minwax Grey as well.
One of my many helpers was by my side! :)
At this point, the design was done except for more shading. You have to let the stain dry enough before adding more shading, otherwise, you end up with a mess.
Can you see the added dimension in this picture from the picture above with the added shading - it gives the whole piece more depth and makes the petals pop off the base.
Now, the final decision - do I distress the base?? Undecided as of right now, but leaning toward a slight distressing with a glaze.
Hope you enjoyed!
Starting it's matching piece with a complimentary Dahlia design.

• Velvet Finishes Paints
  • Minwax Stain

Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine

To see more: http://www.mmembellishments.com

• Sunny

I love this look, but my question is this, how do you apply the stain? Do you use a brush or a rag or both? Thanks! So want to try this technique on my boring kitchen nook table! Yours is stunning!

• Melinda Miller

How do you keep the stain in the pattern without “running” into the grain of the wood?

• Denise

Did you paint the table tops before you used the stain to make the flowers?