Pair of Queen Ann Magnolia Stained End Tables {First of the Pair}

I came across a pair of Queen Ann style end tables and I had a vision...
***UPDATE*** You can find the 2nd of the pair of these magnolia tables (different design) on another post here:
http://www.hometalk.com/17879874/finished-pair-of-queen-ann-magnolia-tables
I went to work stripping and had a mighty hard time with this! I don't know WHAT finish was on it, but it certainly didn't want to give way to the new vision I had in mind. After I had gotten half way through this stripping process, I wish I had just painted over them, but it was too late now, so on I went with too many hours of stripping and sanding!
I pulled out my Velvet Finishes Paint for this project (my fav!). I used Rococco for the top and Cosmopolitan for the base, which is a really subtle mint hue.
To learn more about Velvet Finishes paints, you can use this link:
http://www.velvetfinishes.com/shop.html
I transfer my designs using carbon paper. Then I do a light coat of paint to get rid of the harsh carbon marks.
I got started on my artwork. I used Minwax Ebony Wood Finish stain for all of my artwork, but this time, I decided to use two different stains, as I thought the Ebony would be too dark/ harsh for these feminine pieces. So, I used a Minwax Grey as well.
One of my many helpers was by my side! :)
At this point, the design was done except for more shading. You have to let the stain dry enough before adding more shading, otherwise, you end up with a mess.
Can you see the added dimension in this picture from the picture above with the added shading - it gives the whole piece more depth and makes the petals pop off the base.
Now, the final decision - do I distress the base?? Undecided as of right now, but leaning toward a slight distressing with a glaze.
Hope you enjoyed!
Starting it's matching piece with a complimentary Dahlia design.

• Velvet Finishes Paints
  • Minwax Stain

To see more: http://www.mmembellishments.com

• Cindy

I am new to carbon paper transfer of design? More details please.

• M&M Embellishments

So transfer paper has like an "ink" type surface on the back of it so you can transfer an image from one surface to another surface. You put the paper underneath the image onto the surface you want the image transferred to and then trace the image. Does that help?

• Sunny

I love this look, but my question is this, how do you apply the stain? Do you use a brush or a rag or both? Thanks! So want to try this technique on my boring kitchen nook table! Yours is stunning!

• Melinda Miller

How do you keep the stain in the pattern without “running” into the grain of the wood?