Sheila
Sheila
  • Altamonte Springs, FL

can part of palm tree mound be removed without destabilizing remaining trunks?

Douglas HuntSheilaBecky H
+2

I have mature palms (Queens, I think) that have grown multiple trunks in a mound. The palms are next to a fence and three trunks were previously cut down because they were pushing the fence out. Now it is time to replace the fence and remaining stumps/mound are in the way. Can I cut this portion of the mound flush with the ground without risking the remaining trunks falling? or will entire mound and palms have to be removed? tallest trunk is approx. 50' tall.
two stumps on right need to be removed
two stumps on right need to be removed
Queen palms
Queen palms
view from opposite side of trunks
view from opposite side of trunks

Did your queen palm suffer any setback when the other trunks were cut originally? If not, I don't see why you couldn't cut the remaining stumps flush with the ground.

• Becky H

I could be wrong, but I would think the root ball would hold the ground fast, so that the other trunks wouldn't have any opportunity to shift. Palm root balls are so very dense! It wouldn't seem reducing the trunk to flush w/the ground would impact the nearby trunks/palms at all.............but then, that's just my opinion.

• Sheila

Douglas, the remaining palms seemed to do just fine after the three trunks were cut down.

• Sheila

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

I'd cut them flush then, but if you have any concerns it wouldn't hurt to a have a trained tree person take a look.