Gynarchy B
Gynarchy B
  • Centerville, GA

snake plant- is it indoor or outdoor plant?

Gynarchy BDouglas HuntPam
+7

• Pam

Both.

• Dee W

Mostly an indoor plant but can be put in containers for outside then brought in when weather would stress it.

• Pam

I have raised them mostly outside but will do well inside. I had them in an outside flower bed and they did well except with a hard freeze. If you cut down the frozen top in spring they will regrow.

Folks grow them outdoors in shady spots in my part of Florida, but I suspect where you are in Georgia you should consider them an indoor plant.

• Pam

The location I planted them in is a bed that got only morning sun. They did greate and multiplied well. It also was just under the overhang and did not ever get rain water (except when we had a hurricaine or two). I did not water frequently but they didn't seem to mind gettig dry. In fact, if they got watered too frequently the leaves turned yellow and progressed to a slimmy death. I watered them only about once per week. Oh, and here we call them "mother-in-law tongues", not snake plants. I guest it's a cajun thing.

• Gynarchy B

i am in mid- georgia. i kept my snake plant indoor in a pot for a year now but never grew an inch. and some has turned brown on the side of their leaves. what to do?

That's odd, Gynarchy. How much do you water? Is you plant somewhere it is getting a draft from a heater or anything?

• Gynarchy B

i water once in 2 weeks. i place them by the fireplace which we don't use by the way.

You really need to stick your finger or a chopstick in the dirt to get a sense of when they need water, rather than relying on a set schedule.

• Gynarchy B

Thank you Douglas.