Jim G
Jim G
  • Suffolk, VA

Mondo Grass: Like shade or sun? looking to plant behind fence to woods so it creates a natural ground border.

Jim GDouglas HuntPam
+3

understand it spreads easy?
  • Pam

Liriope and mondo grass likes th sun. Mondo is fine and liriope is a little wider leafed but grows about 12 inches tall and in summer has purple flower stalks. So if you want a little color, liriope is better. They both spread well. It has been my experience that liripoe can live with less watering than my mondo grass.

• Jim G

Thanks Pam. I planted Liriope along the back of the fence thinking it would spread. It didn't spread, just grew high (~12" like you said.). Last year was the 1st year of SOME flowers, but short lived. Just bought some Mondo Grass to plant as a row on each sode of the landscaping of the garden behind the pool. Hopefully the modo grass spreads. It would get water daily from the garden sprinkler zone, so should do well. (I hope!)

Jim, while mondo grass might take sun, it will be much happier-and have darker green leaves- in filtered light or shade. It will eventually spread, but don't count on this happening too quickly. (And we need to talk about your watering. You should not need to be doing that daily!)

• Jim G

Doug: Ref watering the flowers daily: I water the grass only 1-2X a week, but the flowers daily, unless it rains..... is watering flowers daily bad? they seem to wilt when they don't get water and I thought they needed water for making flowers, so if this is bad, I'll slow down and that will save me water up here! (Our water bill is $14.39/750 gallons - highest rates in the country and $800-$850 every 2 months in the summer!)

Jim, you may need to water flowers in a container daily (or even twice a day if they're in direct sun and small pots), but you shouldn't have to water those in a bed that often. Try watering for a longer period but less often.

• Jim G

@ Douglas: ok, thank you.