Bev
Bev
  • Downers Grove, IL

Identification of a Flower

Tanya Peterson FelsheimSensible Gardening and LivingMaryAnn B
+5

Can you tell me what this flower is? It also blooms in blue. My neighbor has them and she gave me some. I have been able to take some really nice pictures of them. I would like a name for my pictures!
Here is a white one.
Here is a white one.
Here are the blue ones, with a white one in the back.
The flower reminds me of ballerina tutus.
  • Barb Rosen

Bev ~ this is nigella damascena or Love-in-a-mist. One of my favorites for bringing blue to the garden! Here's more about your pretty plant http://gardening.about.com/od/plantprofiles/p/Nigella.htm

• Bev

Thank you, Barb!

• Peg

BINGO Barb!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Hometalk is marvelous, sometimes the reminders of garden friends forgotten. I love Nigella, such a dainty lady.

• Peg

nigella plants are still popping up from when I had some 4 yrs ago. I didn't plant them but must have gotten seeds in a clump of soil from a garden plant I bought or traded from someone in our club. I have gotten quite a few "adopted" plants that way!

• MaryAnn B

I love these in my garden the fill in the blank spaces and the blue is pretty. They are easy to pull if you think they are taking over. I pull some out and let others reseed.

• Oh yes, nigella it is. They are great but just keep an eye on the seedlings

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

Love in the midst is so much fun! Even the pods that hold the seed are cool! I have a friend who sells a small bag full of the pods Check out the look of the pods....and lots of them inside...plus she adds a little greeting card I made out of it her nigella...

identification of a flower, flowers, gardening, arent the pods cool