My $1,200.00 Kitchen Remodel

If you're familiar with the internet at all, you've probably seen my kitchen before. I renovated it April of 2011 on a $1,200.00 budget and posted the progress and results on my website. It has been viral online since then! It was also featured as a Cover Story in the September 2011 issue of Romantic Homes Magazine!
Architectural salvage, finds from junk stores and antiques shops, plus off the shelf items from a few Big Box hardware stores come together to create a warm and functional kitchen.
A hymnal rack from the back of a pew hangs above the stove and creates a place to display favorite platters.
An antique Hoosier cabinet base makes a kitchen island. A rather large wire basket serves as additional storage.
Some beadboard, and standard lumber form a beautifully chic way to disguise unsightly exhaust fans. Find the DIY tutorial on www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com
A little styling makes open shelving beautiful and functional. No more wondering where something is--you can see it all. Not show:Even my pantry cupboard has glass doors--I can see at a glance what I need to pick up at the market. I will say I am super OCD and make sure all my labels face forward. I even buy the store brand from one grocery store of all my canned goods because the packaging looks vintage.
A metal ceiling tile and antique wall sconce create a focal point above this sink.
Storing favorite dishes under cake domes keeps them dust free and makes for an interesting visual.

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Mikey F

• Diana Deiley

Still beautiful after all these years! :)

• Barbara

Lovely to look at but not a real fan of all the dishes, bowls, glasses, etc out in the open. Not practical when you’re cooking with all the steam settling on anything dusty. Just too much to keep clean.

• Barbara

Your hutch is beautiful. I guess I’m more of a minimalist. And my whole family past and present have/had a little bit of OCD. 🤪😉