Abi Partridge
Abi Partridge
  • United Kingdom

DIY Tub or Bucket Water Feature

Make this water feature for your outside space. The sound of water flowing is relaxing and to watch it is therapeutic. It adds an extra touch to a coastal themed garden. This is a simple feature with beachey pebbles and would suit a country or beach style garden. It also works well for a pond less or small outside space.
diy tub or bucket water feature, ponds water features
Assemble your items.
Cut hole in the bottom of the plastic plant pot. Cut garden wire to fit the top of the pail, cut the tubing to just at the wire level. Then remove the wire.
Place pump with tubing inside bucket, place the plant pot over and thread tubing through the hole. Place plug cable over side of bucket.
Fit wire into the bucket above pot and pump, place pebbles on wire to cover.
Pour some water into the bucket and plug in to outside safe and waterproof socket and turn on. You may need to adjust the amount of water in the bucket, too much and it will spill over the sides. You will probably need to top up the water in hot weather.
Place your pond less water feature in your garden, balcony or courtyard and enjoy.

• Bucket or pail  (vintage shop)
  • Water pump  (amazon)
  • Pebbles  (pound shop)
Abi Partridge

• Hanneke Bennett

Not actually a question! I really love this idea and am thinking to use a narrower gauge wire so there's less chance for the stones to fall through. What's your thought on that?

• Hanneke Bennett

Haha! Of course it is! Just wondering out loud how hard it would be to bend it would be, I guess!

• Melody

the water pump, is it submersible or the "keep it dry" pump?

• Sue Kiene

Any type of submersible hydroponic pump will work. It would probably be a good idea to have a dial down feature on it so you can adjust the amount of water that flows. Mine is an Active Agua but it is not solar. Mine will move up to a 1000 gallon per hour but its use is to take my sump pump water thru a hose out to my vegetable or flower gardens.

• Pat

This is one of the items on my to do list now. Thanks for the idea. By the way, do they make solar powered pumps?

• J

Yes. I believe Harbor freight and amazon both have them

• Cheryl Gillman

This is such a great idea!! I rent so can't actually dig a pond but this is the next best thing! Definitely going to make this for my deck!!

• Charitie Drye

I have an added idea. Put it in the ground, like a babbling spring