Kathie
Kathie
  • Omaha, NE

Hibiscus Help Please

MelodyMaggievanfossanTrish Gerber
+4

Had a lovely Yellow Hibiscus earlier this spring but in the last 2 weeks the leaves turned yellow and the plant is pretty much dead. I looked up several sites and the info was all the same...
The site I read about yellow leaves weren't too helpful...it said Yellow leaves can be caused by many things....too wet, too dry. Aphids, not enough sun.
We moved it, treated it for aphids, but it is even worse.
Should I take it out of the pot and replant it?..or give up on it?
A Very Sad Hibiscus
A Very Sad Hibiscus
  • Barb Rosen

Your plant is very stressed, if not gone. What I would do now is put it in partial shade, make sure it is watered regularly, but not overwatered ,and wait and see if it comes around. Sometimes, plants drop their leaves when in trauma, but then grow new ones. Leave it alone for awhile and see what happens.

• do you fertilize this plant regularly? I grow a large hibiscus in a flower pot too, although I'm in a different climate. I fertilize with MiracleGro once per week. Also might consider applying a nutrient rich compost (not mulch). If it gets worse, please cut the stems back, add plant food and let it regenerate..

I've had hibiscus come back from near death, so don't give up yet. Follow Barb's advice, and when it recovers make sure that it is in a sunny spot and that you do not let the soil completely dry out.

• Kathie

Thanks for your advice! Some of it we have done laeady...bu I may cut it back... It has been in a semi sun spot...so maybe if it does improve it should be in a sunnier location

• Trish Gerber

I live in Idaho. Not to good for these. But they come up every year. and bloom huge blooms. Not heavy plants just tall stalks, slight leaves and tones of huge blooms. they are in the sun.

• Maggievanfossan

Cut back any damaged parts. Water deeply and keep in a cooler spot for awhile. Your plant appears water stressed as opposed to insect damaged. I saw an article in Birds & Blooms today about hibiscus: http://www.birdsandblooms.com/Glad-You-Asked/Gardening/Hibiscus-Leaves-are-Lacy/. This doesn't appear to be your problem, but may give you some info on hibiscus. Good luck!

• Melody

Have you checked for spider mites? Hot, dry weather is their favorite time. I have used systemic rose food when my plants have needed some help and it has worked well. Here in Texas I move the plants to partial shade in the very hot summer and give them lots of fertilizer and almost daily watering to keep them blooming.