TwoPlusCute
TwoPlusCute
  • Northampton, MA

DIY Bookcase Ledges for Our Nursery

In our nursery, we had a narrow wall, that hid behind the open door. It was a wasted space with no utility and at the same time we really needed more space for our daughter's books.
We made these super easy ledges that are not only practical, they made the whole room look better! (You can see our nursery here).
diy bookcase ledges for our nursery, bedroom ideas, shelving ideas
How to make your own:
Cut your boards to size (home depot & lowes will cut them for you).
Glue and nail together, trying to get the bottom board nailed perpendicular to the wall support, to work against gravity (see next photo).
Find the wall studs, mark them with tape. This is where you will screw in the ledges.
Mark where you want the bottom shelf and mark with more tape.
Mark the rest of the shelves, from bottom to ceiling.
Install your shelves, (from bottom to top!):
- screw one side on the wall,
- level it
- and then screw the other side.
Getting some help with the stud finder
Getting some help with the stud finder
If you have a long wall, you should add more screw supports at the center of the ledges.
Fill the screw holes, sand and paint.
(The photos show the finished bookcase wall but without paint- I painted them another day and didn't take pictures of that - /lazy.)
Fill with books and enjoy. :)
ps. Check out this adorable dress up doll we made for our daughter using a...pizza box!

TwoPlusCute

• Kcama

Has she tried to climb them yet? They look sturdy enough for the inevitable adventure!

• TwoPlusCute

Yes, she actually tried! We discussed it is not a climb wall and so far she only hangs from them (when she tries to reach the books on higher shelves). Because they are put together only with nails, I would not consider them ideal for heavy climbing. The shelves are surprisingly sturdy, being up 4 months now and there is no change on them at all (I checked) - even though they hold some really heavy books (encyclopaedias).

• Ellen Larsen Irion

Very cute! I have a really similar space. Just wondering if the door opens up and hits into the shelves at all? Do you have some kind of stopper or something?

• TwoPlusCute

I do have a stopper! :D Look at the 3rd shelf/ledge from the bottom. See a greige circle? It is my trick for door-stoppers and I use it in other rooms too: it is a round self-adhesive, furniture pad (the soft stickers we put under the feet of furniture so they don't scratch the floor). Works perfectly and because it is soft, it is "silent", too. I chose to have a ledge right at the height of the doorknob, to use only one stopper (and that way I can also hang stuff on the door without disturbing the shelves). Sorry it took so long to reply. :)

• Turk

What size boards did you get? 1x4 for the back and bottom, 1x2 for the front ledge?

Thanks!

• Irene

I am going to do this ! Behind my back door is 3” of unused space. I have about 25 cookbooks to display . Perfect idea. Thx !

• Lana Hassell

Kcama, having raised 4 little ones, I feel that maybe I can make this suggestion with a wee it of experience behind it. Please round the corners of the ends of the shelves. I realize your daughter is much older, but others following these instructions could benefit from this one. Thanks. 🌹💖😘