Frances S
Frances S
  • Brooksville, FL

how to do..water plants.

Douglas HuntFrances SDee W
+6

What can you tell me about planting water plants in small area..does it need to be arriated????

What type of plants are you trying to water, Frances? The size of the area really doesn't matter. In general, what is best for plants is that they get a good, deep watering rather frequent light sprinklings. That water could come from a well, your city water source or a rain barrel. If you have any concerns about it, your local Cooperative Extension office can probably do a simple water test for you.

• Frances S

Sorry, didn't make myself clear..i mean the kind of water plants that you find in fish ponds...water lilies..etc...is a pump needed ?? or can i just set these plants in the water..and they will grow that way...thanks for answering... frances..

You can just grow some plants in a water bowl. You may have to use mosquito dunks if the water isn't recirculating or you don't have fish to eat them.

• Dee W

This is interesting-I am in the North, if I did do this would the plants survive being brought indoors for the winter?

I have a friend who in Massachusetts who brings his papyrus plant indoors for the winter then takes it back out each spring. You need a sunny indoor spot.

• Frances S

WHERE DO I GET "MOSQUITO DUNKS"....NEVER HEARD OF THEM.... THANKS..

Your local hardware store or garden center should have them. If they don't, I'm sure you can get them online. They work, and won't harm birds or other creatures that benefit from the water.

• Frances S

THANK YOU..YOU'VE BEEN VERY HELPFUL..FRANCES..

You're most welcome, Frances. Good luck with your project.