5 Fun Ways to Use Coffee Grounds in the Garden

Back in the day, when I used to run a coffee shop, we used to bag up all of our used coffee grounds and put them beside the door for our customers to take home and use in the garden. It was a busy coffee shop and we went through a lot of coffee, but we could never seem to keep that bin of old coffee grounds full. As soon as we put some out, they were gone. Some customers would see how popular they were and ask us how they could use them too. We used to always say that they were really good for roses, but there are a lot of other great uses for them in the garden too!
We used to always say that they were really good for roses, but there are a lot of other great uses for them in the garden too!
Did you know that your coffee grounds work great in the veggie patch!? I'll bet you can't guess why, but that you will be totally amazed when you find out!
[Psst! Love gardening? Check out this Old Shoe Rack Turned Gardening and Tool Stand!]
Coffee grounds can be used to deter rabbits and deer!
Coffee grounds are great for flowering shrubs, such as lilacs and hydrangeas to keep them healthy and strong and extra happy!
[Hey! Love lilacs? Check out Why Lilacs are Awesome!]

CreekLineHouse .

• Leigh

Can you tell me how to feed my hydrangeas with the coffee grounds?

• Lottie

how about using coffee grounds w/ rhodedendrons?
    • CreekLineHouse .

Hi Lottie! Personally, I have not grown rhodedendrons before, so I cannot tell you from experience... But I imagine that it should be fine to use your coffee grounds on them! Maybe give it a try, but keep a very close eye on your plants and watch for any yellowing, if you are concerned. Hope this helps! :)
    • Gerel El

They are great for rhodies!

• Hsr24433809

There's been some talk about coffee grounds being very acidic - with response that when coffee is made, the acid is pretty much gone. Any suggestion? We put our coffee grounds in the compost although I've also noticed suggestions that they're great for azaleas and other acid loving plants. Thx.
    • CreekLineHouse .

Hi Hsrydal! Thanks for your question! In our experience, we've found that adding coffee grounds to all of our gardens, no matter what is in them, has worked great for us! If you are worried that they may carry too much acidity, I would recommend to keep doing what you are doing, and add the grounds to your compost rather than directly to your garden. The acidity should actually help the overall breakdown of your compost, and perhaps help to speed it up a little! Hope this helps! :)
  • Melody

Will this work to keep squirrels out of my flower beds?

• Heidi

I use red pepper flakes, Cayenne or anything that is hot. Sprinkle it on the soil. The squirrels don't like it and stay away from digging up the roots.

• Trish

What is a good cat deterrent? Thanks

• Joanie

Coffee grounds, eggshells and banana peelings have been used in gardens for centuries. They ALL have a great input in your soil. If you have bunny problems....you may have to add a chicken wire fence......that is, if you don't have acreage of gardening. Fencing will keep all critters out!!

• Hammer in three wooden sticks one on each end of your vegetable rows and one in the middle attach to sticks from end to end three row of fishing line. repeat on other side. do same with all your rows. Rabbits don`t like to get tangled.