Sheryl
Sheryl
  • Vista, CA

What can I replace a railroad tie for a bumper on the driveway?

JudyGinger the farm galSaleh CM Services, LLC
+6

My driveway is on a bit of a slope, and runs right to the grass lawn. I have 2 creosote railroad ties as a bumper to keep cars from running on the grass. It's decaying and time for a new 'bumper'. I need to come up something other than the ties, that will hold up to weather, watering and bumps from car tires, and still look nice. Ideas?
railroad tie 'bumper' on driveway
railroad tie 'bumper' on driveway
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Have you looked at concrete curbing. We have a couple of professionals on Hometalk that do that sort of thing. http://www.hometalk.com/17359/i-wanted-to-share-some-pictures-of-more-landscape-curbing-jobs-i-did-last-year-i This fellow is in my area, maybe there are some people in your area that do the same?

• Brenda Cantrell

USE BLOCKS LIKE THE WALL

• Mary Insana

2 rows high of the same blocks on the wall would pull the whole look together

• Sheryl

I thought of that, but concrete blocks like the wall, would be too rough against tires. I wanted more natural look, like wood. Fake wood, but maybe too lightweight? Some of the cars just bump against the bumper, and push it towards the lawn, so has to be somewhat weighty. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Z

I'm with Donna on this. The concrete is your best bet for both looks and durability. I've seen it look like natural rock and wood, not just brick.

• Peggy Larkin-Chiarello

You could try landscape boulders - on the smaller end - that would look good

• Saleh CM Services, LLC

I would remove the rotted timber and place a concrete curbs.

• Ginger the farm gal

I would take out about a foot of grass in a curved S pattern would soften it, (instead of squared off) then add colored or white rock with a little upright wood fence on the traffic side (or they make edging like that in concrete also) add a few split rail pieces towards the out side for height. and some evergreens or annuals, maybe a few clusters of tulips
  • Judy

I would go to a construction site and ask for some cement blocks that they didn't want to use. Some contractors over estimate and have some extras. He will be thrilled to give them to you, and get rid of them. Then, place these on end, on the edge of your driveway, with your board, if you choose, with some bright reflectors if you like, as a reminder for others, that you want them to STAY OFF the GRASS!!! Best wishes!!