Pam Kemp
Pam Kemp
  • New London, WI

Musty smell /an wood

RoseM'sMammyPam Kemp
+9

I have a old dresser that a friend had at there cabin. I can not get the musty smell out of the inside drawers. Any ideas I even painted with kilz.. the whole inside must have the oder. Any ideas??
  • Thomas T

I would remove the drawers and "paint" the inside with a solution of water/bleach (4 parts/1part) then follow (in 24 hrs.) with linseed oil.

• Pam Kemp

thanks Tom but they have paint in the drawers.. she said it is the kilz paint primer stuff. so would it work?

• Pam Kemp

I had it out side in a enclosed area all winter an it still smells ...

• Kitchen Kelli

Kilz works like gangbuster! Use it - or you could always throw some charcoal briquettes in there for a while.

• Pam Kemp

hmmm maybe it is just been in the dresser so long cuz I cant breath when I smell it. Ill try everyone suggestion ...thanks

• Charlotte

Try using a vinegar solution of 20% to 80% water. Give it 24hrs and don't rinse. Make sure it get into all cracks and crevices. The problem with the Kilz is it cannot cover in the cracks. The solution should be able to seep in.

• Connie

Also when you painted did you paint the whole drawer and dresser or just the insides of the dresser drawers. I would use the vinegar solution or bleach solution to really clean it, let air dry, then put some cedar blocks in when reassembled or baking soda containers. I did the same to an old dresser at our cottage, took a while to get the smell gone but the baking soda really helps. that is after the thorough cleaning

• Connie

oh yea charcoal works great as well. See another poster mentioned this just make sure it does not tough any clothes as it will leave stains.

• Junk Gypsee

I agree with Thomas. The bleach will not hurt the paint. It just penetrates into the mold spores hiding in the wood and the linseed oil with seal it. You should be able to use a sealer and paint or consider using chalk paint too..because it's so easy to deal with.

• Pam Kemp

CONNIE I JUST PAINTED THE INSIDE OF THE DRAWERS. SO ILL TRY THE BLEACH AGAIN. IF I PAINT ILL HAVE TO DO THE INSDE OF THE DRESSER ALSO. I WAS THINKING OF JUST PAINTING THE HOLE THING.......IT ISNT 100% PERFECT ANYWAY. THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL UR HELP!

• M'sMammy

The old Tupperware trick was to wet newspaper, seal it in the container and put in the freezer.Under my sink I wet some slightly, wrapped in another sheet and put in the cabinet and shut the door. Did the trick in spite of the inside wood not being entirely dry yet.

• Rose

Put charcoal brickets and crumbled up newspaper leave for a few days also a small bowl of ammonia also works.